The launch of the Opportunity Zones program marks a new era for real estate and business development in challenging areas for:
- Savvy fund managers/investors seeking to postpone and decrease tax on federal capital gains (and increase returns).
- Visionary developers and entrepreneurs confident in the potential of historically blighted properties and underutilized areas.
- Community-spirited businesses or organizations pursuing necessary funds to revitalize underserved neighborhoods and spur job creation.
Whether clients are only considering or already investing in Opportunity Zones, staying aware of and compliant with the still-evolving program regulations can be difficult. Clark Hill’s dedicated team of Opportunity Zones legal professionals is ready to help clients evaluate the best approach and application to meet your investment goals.
Our attorneys have extensive backgrounds structuring complex deals involving real property of all types, corporate formations, construction and development tactics (P3s), environmental due diligence (including site contamination/cleanup solutions), tax strategies (including tax credit programs), estate planning (including generational wealth transfers), and federal, state, and local economic development incentives and grants. Specifically, we can help clients:
- Form Opportunity Zone Funds and Qualified Opportunity Zone Businesses.
- Create compliant tax strategies.
- Structure real estate and operating business investments.
- Evaluate property and businesses to determine Qualified Opportunity Zone status.
- Explore Opportunity Zone investments in confluence with other public-private development incentives such as New Market Tax credits.
- Address evolving legal and regulatory hurdles.
The Opportunity Zone program is new and evolving, but our team is already immersed in best practices for both investor and community, teaching and leading other attorneys and professionals in the industry. We are committed to making participation in the program a beneficial experience for all parties.