Clark Hill’s tax attorneys are experienced in virtually every aspect of the large and complex field of tax law. Our practice encompasses the federal income tax as it applies to individuals, businesses, trade associations and organizations, the state tax laws, and local taxes imposed by counties, cities, and townships. The tax group’s activities can be classified broadly as falling under the headings of planning, compliance, and advocacy.
We frequently advise corporations and their shareholders, partnerships and their partners, limited liability companies and their members, and other entities and their owners on taxable and tax-free acquisitions, dispositions, mergers, reorganizations, as well as real estate, financing, debt restructuring, and leasing activities. Our team also advises on bankruptcy tax matters, like-kind exchanges, public and private offerings of securities, joint ventures, venture capital investments, business formations, and general business tax matters.
Tax planning on behalf of our individual and business clients is a vital function of the tax group’s practice. Our advice touches on a wide range of factual situations, including:
- Choice of entity for business operations including Subchapter C and S corporations, partnerships, and limited liability entities
- Corporate combinations and divisions
- Business and asset acquisitions
- Succession planning for family business interests
- Partnership, limited liability companies, and corporate design and structure
- Advantageous use of limited liability companies
- Tax aspects of syndications and private placements
- Choice of entity for professional practice
- Tax aspects of bankruptcies and workouts
- Like-kind exchanges of real and personal property
- Tax consequences of international business transactions
- Deferred compensation and other retirement strategies
- Withholding and employment tax liabilities
- Employee vs. independent contractor issues
- Lease vs. purchase decisions
- Hospital/practitioner joint ventures
Our General Tax Planning attorneys keep pace with the most current developments and tax planning techniques, but our philosophy is always to operate well within the client’s realm of comfort as well as the law’s structures.