Peter Kupelian counsels companies and executives in business matters including healthcare, insurance and employment, through litigation and appeals in state and federal courts as well as before government agencies.
He regularly represents his clients in high stakes disputes including counseling and defending class actions and other multiple party and complex matters. Peter represents health care systems, medical practices and physicians regarding business, regulatory and employment issues. He also represents these clients before administrative agencies including providing counsel on the Certificate of Need program before the Michigan Department of Community Health and has handled administrative appeals up through the state court system. He also represents physicians and other entities and professionals before the Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services.
He represents insurers in mass tort coverage litigation, environmental matters, policy rescission actions in a variety of contexts (including life insurance) and matters involving complex disputes between excess and primary insurers and has participated in ground breaking federal and state court decisions upholding the rights of insurance companies.
In addition, Peter defends and counsels companies in a wide variety of employment-related matters, including disputes over breach of agreements and wrongful discharge, discrimination and compliance with various federal and state statutes as well restrictive covenants and non-compete agreements and internal employment investigations. He also counsels clients on day-to-day employment issues, including drafting and interpreting employment manuals and contracts with particular experience with executive employment agreements.
As an arbitrator and mediator, through court appointments and otherwise, his experience includes complex commercial, shareholder and partnership disputes, contract and medical-related matters. He often writes, lectures and provides training regarding alternative dispute resolution methodologies and issues.
Named among The Best Lawyers in America® for Commercial Litigation by Best Lawyers (2010-2023); Litigation-Labor and Employment by Best Lawyers (2011-2023); Litigation-Insurance by Best Lawyers (2023)
Selected to the Michigan Super Lawyers list for Business Litigation (2021)
Top Lawyers in the Midwest, American Registry
State Bar of Michigan
Defense Research Institute
American Arbitration Association
American Health Lawyers Association
Armenian-American Bar Association
The Fellows of Michigan State Bar Foundation
The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
State Bar Licenses
- Dutton-Lainson Co. v. Continental Insurance Co. and Northern Insurance Company of New York, 778 N.W.2d 433 (Neb. 2010)
- United Food and Commercial Workers AFL-CIO, Local No. 880 v. National Labor Relations Board, 74 F.3d 292 (D.C. Cir. 1996)
- Shpargel v. Stage & Co., 914 F.Supp. 1468 (E.D. Mich. 1996)
- Employers Ins. of Wausau v. Petroleum Specialties, Inc., 69 F.3d 98 (6th Cir. 1995)
- Aetna Casualty & Surety Co. v. Dow Chemical Co., 883 F.Supp. 1101 (E.D. Mich. 1995)
- U.S.A. v. Cordova Chemical, 759 F.Supp. 1269 (W.D. Mich 1991)
- West Bay Exploration v A.I.G., 915 F.2d 1030 (6th Cir. 1990)
- Vhalantones v. Zurich American, 750 F.Supp. 248 (E.D. Mich. 1990)
- Pawlak v. Redox, 182 Mich. App. 758 (Mich. App. 1990)
- Fireman’s Fund v. Ex-Cell-O, 720 F.Supp. 597 (E.D. Mich. 1989)
- Admiral Merchants v. Mich. Dept. of Labor, 149 Mich. App. 344 (Mich. App. 1986)
- Advance Watch Co. Ltd. v. Kemper Natl. Life Ins. Co., 878 F.Supp. 1034 (E.D. Mich. 1995)
- Commodity Futures Trading Comm v. First National Monetary Corp., 565 F.Supp 30 (D.C. Ill. 1983)
- Contributing Author, West Group’s Michigan Practice Alternative Dispute Resolution, 1998 Co-author, The Use of Mediation for Resolving Salary Disputes in Sports, 2 T.M. Cooley J. Prac. and Clin. L.353, January, 1999
- Insurance & Reinsurance Briefing – Spring 2015
- Peter Kupelian Quoted In Harvard’s Journal of Sports & Entertainment Law
- Insurance & Reinsurance Briefing – Fall 2014
- Insurance & Reinsurance Briefing – Spring 2014
- Tips for Effective Arbitration – An Arbitrator’s Perspective
- Insurance & Reinsurance Briefing – Winter 2014
- Insurance & Reinsurance Briefing – Fall 2013
- Insurance & Reinsurance Briefing – Summer 2013
- Insurance & Reinsurance Briefing – Spring 2013
- The Use of Mediation for Resolving Salary Disputes in Sports by Peter Kupelian