Jason R. Canvasser
Jason R. Canvasser advises clients on best practices for managing and avoiding potential risks and liabilities. He represents a variety of clients in the liquor, cannabis, and gaming industries on licensing, land use, and regulatory compliance matters in addition to representing clients in complex commercial matters, real estate disputes, and collection litigation.
Jason has broad experience representing clients in general litigation matters that include complex commercial cases, contractual disputes, defense of premise liability and auto negligence claims, landlord-tenant matters, and issues relating to creditor’s rights. He represents clients in state, federal, and bankruptcy courts and has been admitted pro hac vice in multiple out-of-state matters.
Jason also routinely represents national clients on a number of issues relating to the licensing and regulatory compliance involved in the sale of alcohol, both on-site and off-site. These clients include restaurants, bars, pharmacies, grocery stores, manufactures, distributors, hotels, and convenience stores. His clients regularly call on him to advise on issues relating to alcohol promotions, tasting events, sampling promotions, charity events, regulatory compliance, and zoning issues in addition to his extensive experience in the acquisition and sales of liquor licenses. Jason is in frequent contact with the Michigan Liquor Control Commission (MLCC) and works closely with the MLCC commissioners to achieve his client’s desired goals.
Additionally, Jason handles all aspects of cannabis-related licensing, land use, and litigation in Michigan assisting numerous clients in the procurement of licenses at both the state and local levels. He has litigated cases involving improper scoring of marijuana applications, drafted grower, processor, sales, and transportation-related agreements, advised clients on regulatory compliance. In addition, he has drafted municipality ordinances allowing marijuana sales.
State Bar of Michigan
City of Birmingham Board of Zoning Appeals
Birmingham Bloomfield Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
State Bar Licenses
- Obtained a trial verdict in favor of a client that had been sued by its telephone company for fraudulent international telephone call charges and successfully defended that verdict on appeal.
- Negotiated settlements of commercial leases for restaurant clients.
- Obtained multiple judgments on behalf of creditors for defaults of loan agreements.
- Achieved favorable settlement for property owners in a lawsuit arising out of improperly constructed condominiums.
- Successfully negotiated the rezoning of property to allow for the construction of storage units.
- Obtained numerous use variances to allow for the sale of alcoholic beverages.
- Obtained reversal on appeal of a Board of Zoning Appeals denial for a marijuana grower.
- Co-author, “The Evolving CBD and Hemp Market,” Michigan Bar Journal, June 2021
- “Human Resources in 2021: Moving forward with the right strategy” MiCIA Magazine, Volume 2 Issue 4
- Jason Canvasser quoted in “Gas stations in mid-Michigan apply for liquor licenses”
- Hometown Life: Clark Hill attorney Jason Canvasser appointed to Board of Zoning Appeals, December 2015