Gerald P. Schneeweis
Gerald Schneeweis represents manufacturers of prescription and over the counter medications, medical devices and other FDA-regulated products in state and federal courts, and a variety of businesses in commercial and intellectual property disputes.
Gerry represents clients in state and federal trial and appellate courts. His clients include pharmaceutical and medical device companies, as well as other manufacturers in product liability litigation asserting claims of design and manufacturing defect, failure to warn and off-label promotion. He acts as coordinating, regional, and local counsel in federal and statewide coordinated proceedings, asserting product liability claims against life sciences manufacturers and research entities. He served as lead coordinating counsel in multi-plaintiff product liability litigation on behalf of a dermal filler manufacturer/clinical trial sponsor and several of its former executives, officers and directors. He counsels manufacturers and insurers on various product liability issues, including adequacy of warnings, marketing, and FDA rules on promotion of off-label use.
In addition, Gerry represents industrial, consumer and agricultural research companies in product liability, breach of warranty and breach of contract litigation. His experience also includes the representation of clients in design and engineering firms and retailers in commercial disputes, unfair competition and business torts, as well as intellectual property litigation.
AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated – Martindale-Hubbell
American Bar Association – International Life Sciences and Health Law Committee of the International Law Section, Co-Chair
American Bar Association – Litigation and IP Sections
American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Defense Research Institute, Drugs and Devices Committee
State Bar Licenses
- “On the Banks of the Stream of Commerce: Why There Should Be No Individual ‘Product’ Liability of Corporate Officers, Directors and Employees,” Rx for the Defense, Defense Research Institute, August 12, 2019
- “PREP Act Update: Liability Immunity for ‘Covered Countermeasures’ During the COVID-19 Pandemic,” Rx For the Defense, Defense Research Institute, July 9, 2020
- Author, “Justices Limit Exposure of Foreign Businesses to US Litigation,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, July 7, 2011
- Moderator, “How Will Law Treat Science and Medicine Once the Pandemic Subsides?” American Bar Association, International Law Section, May 13, 2020
- Speaker, “Food Law Court – Litigation Hot Topics,” 2018 Food Law Forum, November 7, 2018
- Moderator, “There’s No Place Like Home: Challenges to Jurisdiction in Life Sciences Litigation,” American Bar Association Section of International Law Lifesciences Conference, June 2018
- Guest Speaker, “Legal and Regulatory Updates in the Life Sciences Industry,” webinar for life sciences industry insurer, January 31, 2017
- Moderator, “Navigating Relationships with Codefendants and Third Party Witnesses,” American Bar Association Section of Litigation Regional CLE Workshop – Current Issues in Pharmaceutical, Medical Device, and Biotech Litigation, November 4, 2016
- Speaker, “Life Sciences Claims and Litigation Trends,” presentation to life sciences industry insurer, September 9, 2015
- Instructor, “Federal Preemption” and “Off-Label Promotion,” online business litigation courses on FDA regulations of life sciences companies, San Diego State University Masters’ program in Regulatory Affairs, May 2012
- Guest Speaker, “Best Practices to Avoid & Minimize Product Liability Litigation: a US and EU Perspective,” webinar for life sciences industry insurer, May 25, 2011