Ramiro Rangel has more than 25 years of experience advising domestic and international investors and companies in a wide range of legal matters. He counsels and advises clients in a variety of industries, including automotive, direct-selling, distribution, franchising, financing, hospitality, manufacturing, beverages, private equity, transportation and logistics, technology, and real estate.
Over the years, Ramiro has served clients as an outside general counsel.
He is experienced in cross-border and international transactions. Ramiro has advised on both acquisitions and sales of operations between U.S. and Mexican clients, including purchases and sales of distressed assets and both the winding-up and launch of cross-border operations and subsidiaries.
Ramiro has advised on legal structures for U.S. companies entering cross-border joint ventures. He has also represented clients in the negotiation and formation of their domestic joint venture structures. His extensive experience in international hospitality gives him unique capabilities valued by industry clients looking to expand into the Mexican market.
Ramiro’s practice includes work on corporate and contractual matters, M&A transactions, foreign investment, financing, real estate, licensing, and franchise and distribution agreements. He has also advised U.S. lenders on loans secured by Mexican assets
Named to “Who’s Who of Franchise Lawyers” (2009-2017)
Barra Mexicana, Colegio de Abogados
State Bar Licenses
- Acquisitions: Participated in the representation of a major broadcasting media company in the acquisition of a cable services group. Advised an international well-known car manufacturing company in connection with the sale of its Mexican subsidiary and operations to a U.S. based distributor of automobiles.
- Bankruptcy: Participated in assisting a trustee for a bankrupt U.S. truck line regarding the winding up of Mexican subsidiaries and operations in Mexico, including settlement negotiations with Mexican creditors and partners. Participated and advised in the purchase and sale transaction of a Mexican corporate group engaged in the direct-selling industry which was a subsidiary of a bankrupt parent company in the U.S.
- Foreign Investment: Participated in the legal structuring for a U.S. vessel operating company to enter a joint venture with a Mexican operating company, to supply vessels to a Mexican state-owned company. Advised major U.S. logistics companies in their structuring operations in Mexico.
- Franchise and Distribution: Constantly advise a major international hospitality conglomerate on its expansion in the Mexican market. Constantly advise franchisors on its incursion and expansion in Mexico. He advised a well-known car manufacturing company in connection with the design and implementation of its dealers’ distribution agreements for the Mexican market. Advised a major U.S. healthcare products manufacturer company on its manufacturing and distribution structure in Mexico. Advised an energy drink company on its nationwide distribution arrangements with a large beverage company in Mexico.
- International Secured and Non-secured Loans: Advised and rendered legal opinions on multi-million loan facility transactions involving Mexican subsidiaries pertaining to a U.S. based logistics corporate group. Advise U.S. lenders in loans secured by Mexican assets, including real estate, shares, and floating liens.
- Joint Ventures: Participated in the representation of a U.S. private investment fund in connection with a joint venture with the Sociedad Hipotecaria Federal and several Mexican mortgage lenders, to implement a mortgage loan secondary market based on a foreign-structured model. Represented investors in a joint venture project for the formation and operation of a major dedicated sheet feeder facility in Mexico. Assisted in the negotiation and formation of a joint venture structure for a standardized dental services company with operations throughout Mexico.
- Project Finance: Participated in the representation of Japanese financial institutions in connection with the transfer of the agent´s collateral rights, under certain financing agreements between a syndicate of international banks and a Mexican company, for the processing and compression of natural gas for a Mexican state-own company.
- Real Estate: Advised U.S. and Mexican companies in their acquisition of farmer land (tierras ejidales) in Mexico, assisting them in the land privatization process to acquire full title of the land. Assisted a direct-selling company in its built-to-suit project for its corporate offices, warehouses, and logistics facilities. Advised a Japanese manufacturing company in the drafting and negotiating of construction and development agreements for its Mexican subsidiaries’ manufacturing facilities.
- Transportation and Logistics: Advised major U.S. logistics corporate groups in their operations in Mexico. Participated in the representation of a commercial Mexican airline company in the negotiations and execution of finance lease transactions for aircrafts.
- Winding Up Transactions: Advised in the complex shutdown and ultimately liquidation process of three manufacturing plants of a corporate group in Mexico. Advised in the complex winding-up process of a manufacturing plant of a Japanese logistics and transportation conglomerate.
- Contributing Author, “Key Business and Legal Issues Related to Franchise Expansion in Today’s Hot International Markets”, International Franchise Association 2013.
- Co-author, “Franchise Expansion Across our Borders: Canada and Mexico”, American Bar Association, Forum on Franchising 2012.
- Co-author, Banker’s Alert, “Mexico’s Unified Secured Transactions Registry Offers New Opportunities for Secured Lending”, December 2010.
- Author, “La Inversión Extranjera en las Empresas Marítimas en México”, May 2010.
- Co-author, “International Franchise Disclosure Laws”, American Bar Association, Forum on Franchising, 2006.
- Speaker, Franchise Expansion Across our Borders: Canada and Mexico. American Bar Association, Forum on Franchising, October 2012.
- Speaker, La Inversión Extranjera en las Empresas Marítimas en México, Seminario Derecho Marítimo, Facultad de Derecho UNAM, May 2010.