Mark J. StegerMark Steger Clark Hill
Mark J. Steger
Mark J. Steger is Senior Counsel in Clark Hill's Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Practice Group based in the firm's Chicago office. Mark represents clients in environmental compliance, transactional and litigation matters. He has extensive experience with environmental regulations relating to air pollution, water pollution, solid and hazardous waste management, public water supplies, wetlands, pesticides, toxic chemicals and noise pollution.
Mark has worked with many clients over the years on air, water and solid and hazardous waste matters before the United States Environmental Protection Agency as well as state environmental agencies. With respect to air permitting, he has been actively involved in both minor and major source enforcement matters in both attainment and nonattainment areas throughout the country under Title V of the Clean Air Act and similar state statutes. These matters involve both criteria pollutants as well as hazardous air pollutants and greenhouse gases.
Mark has also been involved in water permitting enforcement matters involving industrial and municipal process wastewater discharges as well as stormwater discharges under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System and Pretreatment programs under the Clean Water Act and similar state statutes.
Mark has assisted clients with solid and hazardous waste enforcement matters including permitting, closure and post-closure care as well as corrective action matters and beneficial use determinations under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and similar state statues.
Mark also assists clients in real estate and corporate transactional matters involving environmental due diligence matters. He helps address environmental issues in a variety of ways including voluntary cleanup programs, insurance and contractual provisions. He also has been involved in Brownfield projects involving property that is being redeveloped for commercial or residential purposes. These projects typically involve sites that have environmental issues that need to be resolved as part of the redevelopment of the property.
Mark has represented many clients in proceedings involving the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (Superfund) and similar state statutes. He has acted as common counsel for steering committees as well as allocation committees. He has participated in negotiations with federal and state agencies regarding implementation of Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Studies, Engineering Evaluation Cost Analyses and Remedial Design/Remedial Actions. He also represents clients in connection with insurance claims regarding environmental liabilities.
Mark has advised clients in connection with chemical management and reporting requirements under the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (EPCRA), the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) and the European Union’s Registration, Evaluation Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) regulations and has also advised clients on the Risk Management (RMP) and Process Safety Management (PSM) requirements under the Clean Air Act and the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
RMP/PSM Compliance Counseling and Enforcement Defense representative matters include: defense of an OSHA PSM citation and follow-on USEPA RMP request for information arising from an explosion at a PVC production facility; defense of USEPA notice of violations related to public water supplier chlorine RMP program; counsel manufacturing clients on applicability and program requirements of both EPA’s RMP as well as OSHA’s PSM standard.
- Illinois Hydraulic Fracking Bill Becomes Law, Holland & Knight Alert, July 16, 2013
- Illinois Proposes Soil Vapor Intrusion Requirements, Holland & Knight Newsletter, Fourth Quarter 2008
- Supreme Court Decision Turns Up the Heat on Greenhouse Gas Regulation, Holland & Knight Newsletter, Second Quarter 2007
- Recent State Right-to-Know Laws Focus on Individual Property Owners, Holland & Knight Newsletter, Fourth Quarter 2006
- D.C. Circuit Vacates Equipment Replacement Rule, Holland & Knight Newsletter, May 4, 2006
- New Illinois Pollution Notice Law Gives the IEPA New Authority, Holland & Knight Newsletter, First Quarter 2006
- Illinois Adopts Brownfield Site Restoration Regulations, Holland & Knight Newsletter, April 15, 2004
- Illinois Amends Petroleum Underground Storage Tank Program, Holland & Knight Newsletter, September 6, 2002
- Current Issues in Storm Water Regulation in Illinois, Lorman Education Services Seminar, January 23, 2013