Adam M. Ansari
Adam M. Ansari advises clients on tax, estate planning, and business structuring matters, concentrating on the representation of clients in IRS disputes and other tax related litigation.
Often advising on federal income, estate, and gift tax planning issues, Adam also develops and implements strategies, structures, and plans for businesses and families to maximize tax savings while avoiding or resolving tax related disagreements and questions.
Clients seek Adam’s experience in the following areas:
An experienced tax court advocate, Adam assists companies and individuals on a wide range of tax and compliance-related issues to favorably resolve tax controversies and audits at both the state and federal levels. Adam has handled every stage of a tax controversy from examination through court proceedings and the alternative dispute resolution options.
Adept at advising and working with accountants, personal injury and family law attorneys, Adam provides litigation support and guidance for the protection and separation of assets, and the associated tax related consequences.
Adam provides guidance to business clients on federal, international, and state tax questions related to transactions, structuring, and compliance. A significant part of his practice involves advising clients on tax-related questions concerning the formation of business entities, the negotiation and drafting of operating agreements, compensation agreements, separation agreements, lending agreements, and purchase and sale agreements.
He also advises U.S. taxpayers in becoming compliant with U.S. and state tax laws through voluntary disclosure initiatives relating to previously undisclosed foreign financial accounts, gifts, and transactions.
Estate Planning, Trust Administration, and Probate
In his estate planning practice, Adam assists families on the design and implementation of comprehensive estate plans, including the preparation of wills, revocable trusts, irrevocable trusts, and special needs trusts, as well as gift agreements, charitable trusts, private foundations, and family limited partnerships. Experienced with advising international families and international assets, Adam is experienced with advising and drafting on the unique and complicated issues affecting international families and the protection of U.S. and non-U.S. held assets.
Adam also helps fiduciaries and beneficiaries navigate through the often-complicated trust and estate administration processes, and regularly assists clients with probate court proceedings.
Clients involved with cannabis and virtual currency activities seek Adam’s counsel on planning, compliance, and controversy representation related to federal taxes and information reporting obligations.
Named among Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America in Tax Law (2022 – 2023)
Named among Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America in Trusts & Estates (2021 – 2023)
Illinois Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Tax law (2016 – 2023)
Recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine as a Estate Planning & Probate Law Rising Star by Thomson Reuters (2016 – 2022)
Chicago Estate Planning Counsel
Illinois State Bar Association
South Asian Bar Association
The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Young Leader
American Bar Association, Real Property Trust & Estate Section, Current Leadership Member, Past Fellow
Tax Clinic, Center for Economic Progress, Volunteer
American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Solo and Small Firm Practice Group, Past Chair
AmeriCorps VISTA, American Red Cross, Alumni
State Bar Licenses
- CARES Act Provides Relief to Real Estate Professionals, Co-Author, Clark Hill News Report (2020)
- Chapter 7: Income Tax Elections and Considerations, Co-Author, Postmortem Estate Planning 2020 Edition, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (2020).
- The Pandemic Is Bad Enough: How to Avoid Creating Post-Death Controversies During the Current Crisis, Co-Author, Illinois Bar Association Trusts & Estates Newsletter (2020).
- Lending as a Creative Planning Solution: Understanding the Bad and Avoiding the Ugly, so All is Good, Co-Author of presentation materials, ACTEC Fall Meeting (2019)
- Taxation Concerns for Individuals Splitting Time Between the United States and India, Author, American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Section, E-Report (2017)
- Section 529A ABLE accounts opening throughout the United States, Author, Illinois State Bar Association, Trusts & Estates Section (2017)
- How to Develop a Strategic Plan for Your Small Firm or Solo Practice, Author, American Bar Association, YLD Solo, Small Firm and General Practice Committee Newsletter (2016)
- Purchasers of Properties that Have Gone through Judicial Sale Should be Cautious, Author, Illinois State Bar Association, Section on Real Estate Law, and Section on Commercial Banking, Collections and Bankruptcy (2015)
- Who is the Fiduciary? Traditional and Non-Traditional Roles in the Administration of Directed Trusts, Co-Presenter, American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Section (2022)
- Sophisticated Trust & Estate Planning Techniques, Presenter, Private Presentation for Chesley Taft & Associates (2021)
- Formula Clauses: Gifting Real Estate, Closely Held Business Interests and Hard to Value Assets in 2021, Co-Presenter, Private Presentation for Clark Hill Stake Holders (2021)
- Biden Administration: Potential Changes to Tax Code, Co-Presenter, Clark Hill Annual Tax Symposium Virtual Series Part IV (2021)
- Illinois Trust Code: Key Changes, Co-Presenter, Private Presentation for Clark Hill Stake Holders (2019)
- The Fundamentals of Fiduciary Litigation, Co-Presenter, American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Section (2018)
- Protecting Assets, Supporting our Elders, and More on Fiduciary Litigation, Co-Presenter, American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Section (2017)
- Section 529A ABLE accounts in Illinois, Presenter, Private Presentation for Mesirow Financial (2017)