Ron Stern advises and counsels a variety of companies, real estate entities, and financial institutions on matters including commercial real estate transactions, commercial lending transactions for both lenders and borrowers, and corporate and business transactions.
Ron has extensive experience in the area of commercial real estate. He has handled a significant number of complex real estate transactions on behalf of lenders, investors and developers, with an emphasis on construction and development projects and related financing, senior housing, mixed-use projects, medical office buildings, retail shopping centers, restaurants, industrial properties, hotels, commercial leasing, residential subdivisions, and development agreements.
National, international, and regional banks and financial institutions have sought Ron’s advice for more than 30 years. He negotiates, structures, and documents a variety of commercial real estate and commercial lending transactions, including acquisition financing, construction projects, syndicated secured and unsecured credit facilities, working capital lines of credit, SBA lending programs, letters of credit, owner-occupied real estate facilities, low-income housing tax credit loans, and asset-based lending transactions.
On the corporate and business law side, Ron focuses on the acquisition or disposition of assets or stock, joint ventures, mergers, and recapitalizations. In addition, he counsels clients on corporate/limited liability company formation matters, including buy-sell agreements, financing needs, general corporate matters, shareholder governance, and operational and planning issues.
State Bar Licenses
- Representation of a financial institution lender financing the construction of several senior living projects, including the negotiation of inter-creditor agreements with subordinated and mezzanine lenders.
- Acted as Midwest legal counsel for a financial institution subsidiary of a Fortune 100 company for which he documented, negotiated, and closed an extensive number of commercial, asset-based, and real estate loans.
- Represented the developers on the acquisition, construction, renovation, and financing of a dilapidated historic hotel into a new state-of-the-art facility, including a nationally branded hotel on the lower levels with condominiums/apartments on the upper floors. The project utilized multi-level financing, including historic tax credits, conservation easement credits, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development financing, a pension fund loan, venture capital, and construction/bridge loans.
- Represented a commercial real estate developer in the acquisition of multiple shopping centers and related financings.
- Represented a large health club franchisee in connection with its senior syndicated lending facilities, commercial leases, acquisition of additional locations, and commercial real estate acquisition and development.
- Represented a financial institution in financing the construction of one of the largest indoor soccer arenas in the United States.
- Represented a 501(c)(3) organization in the development and structured financing of a mixed-use research and technology park, highlighted by a 100,000 square foot business incubator facility that houses various high-tech start-up companies, together with early-stage companies focused on emerging energy technologies, life sciences, and advanced engineering.
- Represented a national marketing and branding company in connection with the acquisition of several agencies, including the negotiation of the related senior financing and subordinated debt facilities.
- Represented a trucking parts manufacturing and distributing company in its sale of assets to a publicly-traded company.
- Represented an international manufacturer of automotive batteries and lighting on its senior secured credit and term loan facilities.