Lorie Dakessian represents clients in campus discipline cases, Title IX litigation, white-collar and internal investigations, and legal and medical malpractice matters.
As Co-Chair of the Title IX & Campus Discipline practice (www.titleix.law), Lorie represents college students and faculty members nationwide who are under investigation for, or who have been disciplined by their colleges or universities for, alleged violations of sexual harassment and misconduct and academic misconduct. She also represents faculty members who are under investigation by their universities and federal agencies for allegations of sexual harassment or research misconduct. She brings litigation against colleges and universities when a resolution cannot be reached at the disciplinary level. In addition, Lorie has represented complainants who raise and pursue assault or harassment claims within universities. She works closely with her clients to ensure that they understand the university’s process, seek procedural safeguards, and are afforded a fair hearing. She helps students and their families understand and fully prepare for investigations and hearings and, where appropriate, helps clients who are seeking informal resolutions with the school while navigating the complicated issues accompanying mediation. Lorie also is experienced with situations that may be complicated by mental health concerns or the need for disability accommodations. Given her experience, Lorie has published articles and has been sought out to present nationally on Title IX representation and litigation, including its intersection with criminal law.
Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2023)
Listed on the Top 50 Women Lawyers List in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2022-present)
Listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2013–present)
Listed in Pennsylvania Rising Stars (2010-2012)
CIPP/US (Certified Information Privacy Professional, U.S.)
Philadelphia Bar Association
Montgomery Bar Association
Women’s White Collar Defense Association
International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Philadelphia Diversity Law Group, Board of Directors (2022-2023)
Boston College Law School Alumni Association
State Bar Licenses
- Co-author of “Title IX on College Campuses: A Constellation of Legal Challenges,” For the Defense (PACDL), Volume 7, Issue 3, September 2022 (PDF here).
- Co-author of “Practice Guide for Title IX Practitioners: Ensuring effective live hearings and direct cross-examination in Title IX disciplinary proceedings in the wake of the Cardona decision,” September 22, 2021.
- Authored Comments to the US Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights Title IX Public Hearing (Ensuring Fair and Reliable Campus Disciplinary Proceedings In Cases Involving Alleged Sexual Misconduct (read the comment), June 11, 2021.
- Co-author of “The Protections and Potential Perils of the New Title IX Regulations,” For the Defense (PACDL), Volume 5, Issue 4, December 2020 (PDF here).
- Authored Comments to the US Department of Education’s proposed Title IX Regulations on behalf of a group of professors and practicing attorneys (read the comments); full press release here.
- Co-author of “The Evolving High Stakes World of Defending Students in College Title IX Proceedings,” For The Defense (PACDL), Volume 4, Issue 1, February 2019.
- Co-author of chapter on “Post-Trial Issues and Other Appellate Considerations” in multiple editions of “Pennsylvania Civil Trial Practice,” by the Honorable Daniel J. Anders and Bobby Ochoa, III, Esquire.
SPEECHES & PRESENTATIONS
- “The Title IX Landscape in Higher Ed 2022,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute (PBI) Webinar; August 2022.
- “The Title IX Landscape: Where are We Now and Where are We Going?,” PACDL (Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers) Webinar; July 2022.
- “The Title IX Landscape: Where Are We Now?,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute (PBI) Webinar; June 2021.
- “Strategies for University Level Disciplinary Proceedings and Discovery,” Sixth Annual Symposium on Representing Students Accused of Sexual Assault; Virtual; October 2020.
- “The New Title IX Regulations: How Not to Get Sued – Best Practices and Lessons to Apply from Title IX Respondent Litigation,” ATIXA 2020 Virtual Annual Conference; October 2020.
- “What Schools Need to Know about the New Title IX Regulations,” New York County Lawyer’s Association/Westchester County Bar Association Webinar; July 2020.
- “The New Title IX Regulations – A New Era,” Illinois State Bar Association Webinar; June 2020.
- “The Title IX Regulations: A New Era,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute (PBI) Webinar; May 2020.
- “How to Avoid a Title IX Lawsuit;” University of South Florida Title IX Conference; Tampa, FL; February 2020.
- Presenter at “College Disciplinary Hearings Involving Sexual Harassment and Assault – What is the latest?” CLE; New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education; New Brunswick, NJ; November 2019
- “Defending Students in Disciplinary Exclusion and Criminal Cases;” PACDL’s Defending Education Professionals and Students Conference; Villanova, PA; October 2019.
- Video training in “20 Minutes To…Trained: Advising the Responding Party;” ATIXA web-based sexual misconduct training series; June 2019 (read more here; watch preview clip here; videos available for purchase directly from ATIXA).
- “The Changing Landscape of Title IX: How Regulations and Case Law Have Impacted Policies and Procedure;” Seventh Annual Rowan University Title IX Summit; Glassboro, NJ; June 2019.
- “The Proposed OCR Regulations: What’s New?,” Fifth Annual Symposium on Representing Students Accused of Sexual Assault; Washington DC; April 2019.
- Panelist on “Responding to Reports of Sex & Gender-Based Harassment & Violence: Maintaining Integrated Approaches as a Means of Risk Management,” URMIA (University Risk Management & Insurance Association) Annual Conference; Salt Lake City, UT; October 2018.
- “How to Avoid a Title IX Lawsuit,” Sixth Annual Rowan University Title IX Summit; Glassboro, NJ; June 2018.
- “From Sandusky to Solebury: Lessons from Pennsylvania on Educator Misconduct,” Education Law Association 63rd Annual Conference; San Diego, CA; November 2017.
- “How Schools Can Fortify Their Deflector Shields: Protecting Data Privacy of K-12 Students and Schools,” Education Law Association 63rd Annual Conference; San Diego, CA; November 2017.
- “Educator Misconduct: How to Handle Claims Against Educators, From the Allegation Through the Litigation,” Education Law Association 62nd Annual Conference; Orlando, FL; November 2016.
- “Cybersecurity and Data Breaches: The New Embezzlement Risk,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Embezzlement 101; Philadelphia, PA; April 2016.
- “Cybersecurity: Risk Management and Incident Response in an Evolving Threat Landscape,” District of Delaware Inaugural Bench & Bar Conference; Wilmington, DE; May 2015.