Kirk F. SniffKirk Sniff Clark Hill
Kirk F. Sniff
Kirk F. Sniff's practice involves various areas of environmental law, with emphasis on environmental and toxic tort litigation.
Kirk represents clients in regulatory and administrative proceedings before the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the U.S. Coast Guard, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and governmental agencies in more than 20 states. Kirk has advised fuel distributors, retailers and industrial customers on many aspects of the fuel business including the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act, the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act, fuel supply, throughput, terminalling and transportation agreements, unattended fueling systems, pricing investigations, spill containment and countermeasures, emergency response, and other environmental and safety issues associated with the distribution, transport, storage and sale of motor fuels.
Kirk was formerly with the EPA in Washington, D.C. and Texas, and served as an associate general counsel in the private sector. During his tenure with the EPA in Washington, D.C., Kirk served as Director of the Hazardous Waste Enforcement Division of the Office of Enforcement and Compliance Monitoring and as Director of the Office of Legal and Enforcement Policy in the EPA's Office of General Counsel. Prior to these assignments, Kirk served as Chief of the Legal Branch in the Agency's Dallas, TX, office. After leaving the EPA, he served as Associate General Counsel for a large gas station and convenience store chain.
Kirk speaks frequently on environmental topics and has addressed conferences sponsored by numerous industry groups and Bar associations. Principal areas addressed by these presentations include: management of toxic tort litigation, private cost recovery litigation, environmental due diligence in mergers, acquisitions and real estate transactions, environmental topics specific to agricultural, food processing, dairy industries, and oil and gas production and retail gasoline sales.
- Successfully defended an international company against national resource damages claims asserted by the Attorney General in regard to a former chemical manufacturing site in New Jersey.
- Successfully defended clients in Clean Water Act and RCRA Citizen Suits in Texas, New Jersey, and California.
- Represented a major U.S. retailer in an environmental indemnity claim against a multi-national oil company that resulted in a significant recovery for the client.
- Represented a major automobile manufacturer in an environmental contribution action against a hazardous waste management facility that resulted in a major recovery for the client.
- Oversaw environmental due diligence and indemnity matters in multiple transactions across the United States for one of the world's largest dairy processing companies.
- Supervised a nationwide outsourcing program involving environmental claims and litigation brought by and against a major U.S. gasoline retailer.
- Defended multiple state and federal Superfund claims for potentially responsible parties from the energy, transportation, recycling, manufacturing, medical and food industries.
- Successfully managed the defense of multiple toxic tort claims for major U.S. companies from the manufacturing, distribution, energy, food processing, transportation, and retail sectors.
- Successfully represented an international energy midstream services company on many regulatory and permitting matters involving multiple facilities in Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas.
- Managed emergency release event investigations and defense of EPA and OSHA administrative penalty actions under Risk Management Plan/Process Safety Management programs.
- Conducted release event/process upset reporting and permit compliance counseling.