Kathryn Midboe Darling
Kathryn Midboe Darling advises health care entities in structuring business transactions, including business formation, financial arrangements and joint ventures.
Kathryn’s practice focuses on compliance with the regulatory aspects of business arrangements. She has advised clients on Stark and anti-kickback requirements, HIPAA, negotiating contracts for hospital/physician joint ventures, and promoting new ventures through private placement of equity interests. Kathy has successfully negotiated with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services on behalf of physicians and suppliers in overpayment cases.
In addition, she represents health care providers and administrators dealing with the Texas State Medicaid Managed Care program and other third party payors. Kathy also provides representation to physician practice management companies on a myriad of issues, such as credentialing, risk management, organization under state and federal laws, compliance with fraud and abuse prohibitions, the anti-self referral statutes, negotiation and operation in risk contracts with hospitals and HMOs in compliance with the Texas HMO Act, negotiation of risk contracts and unwinding business arrangements at termination.
She has also represented hospitals in tax exempt bond financings, in Medicare payment issues brought before the Provider Reimbursement Review Board, and in general corporate matters. Her experience includes the organization and operation of provider based entities formed to compete in the managed care arena.
Named among The Best Lawyers in America® for Health Care Law by Best Lawyers, (2005-2023)
National Health Lawyers Association, American Bar Association, BLIA (2005-2006)
State Bar Licenses
- The Organization and Operation of Co-Ops and the Role of Medical Societies, AAMSE Conference (July 2011)
- Stark and Fraud and Abuse Updates (1998)
- The Future of the Medicaid Managed Care Program in Texas (1997)
- Managed Medicaid (1996)
- Hospitals Should Plan Now for Value-Based Purchasing, Which May Be Game-Changer, AIS’s Health Reform Week (July 2010)
- The Right Care, For Every Person, Every Time, Strasburger Health Industry Online (April 2007)
- Congressmen Stark And Pallone Outline Healthcare Priorities For The 110th Congress, Strasburger Health Industry Online (February 2007)
- CMS and the OIG Act Together to Protect Donations of Information Technology, Health Industry Online (August 2006)