Joseph R. StrubleJoseph Struble Clark Hill
Joseph R. Struble
Joe Struble focuses his practice on business planning and M&A transactions. From business formation to ultimate disposition, Joe provides value-added legal advice that helps clients find solutions to achieve their goals and plan for the life cycle of their business. Joe also provides private client services to successful entrepreneurs and their families. Joe has significant experience in the technology, healthcare, oil and gas, automotive, and manufacturing industries.
REPRESENTATIVE BUSINESS PLANNING TRANSACTIONS
- Prepared and negotiated business formation documents, governing documents, and shareholders' agreements.
- Counseled business owners, investors, and companies on business structure, tax planning, capital investments, equity incentives, succession planning, and management's fiduciary duties.
- Negotiated and drafted loan agreements, technology contracts, and employment agreements.
- Negotiated and documented real estate purchases, conveyances, and leases, including transactions involving ranches.
- Counseled professional services providers in the fields of medicine, law, accounting, and veterinary medicine in business structure, profit sharing, and governance matters.
- Counseled startup entrepreneurs and investors in new business structuring and the evaluation of legal risks in the technology, real estate, healthcare, medical device, and oil and gas industries.
- Negotiated and documented U.S.-Mexico cross-border joint venture transactions in the automotive manufacturing and logistics industries.
- Planned and documented complex transactions involving the investment of capital and contribution of services to form new business ventures in the oil and gas, healthcare, and food and beverage industries.
- Planned and documented business restructurings in anticipation of capital investments and business disposition events to achieve tax efficient exits for business owners.
REPRESENTATIVE MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS
- Prepared and negotiated asset purchase agreements, securities purchase agreements, and merger agreements.
- Represented a startup long-term care provider in the acquisition of a skilled nursing facility out of bankruptcy.
- Represented an entrepreneur in the stock purchase of a specialty manufacturer of pharmaceutical testing products.
- Represented a majority stockholder in an aviation technology company in the leveraged acquisition of a minority shareholder’s stock in the company.
- Represented a ranching family in the seller-financed acquisition of the operations and real estate of an exotic wildlife ranch.
- Represented husband-and-wife entrepreneurs in the stock acquisition of a surveying company.
- Represented a medical doctor in a complex securities and asset sale of a multi-location, specialty medical practice.
- Represented a publicly traded oil and gas services company in the stock acquisition of a fracking technology company. This transaction was nominated for deal of the year by the Houston Association of Corporate Counsel in multiple categories.
- Represented a husband-and-wife entrepreneurial team in the acquisition of a lamp and home furnishings business.
- Represented a hospice owner in an asset sale and transfer of the hospice license.
- Represented a publicly traded diversified equipment manufacturer in the acquisition of a private manufacturing company.
- Represented an industrial equipment company in the sale of its tire and battery divisions.
- Represented an ecommerce company in the sale of the company's assets.
- Represented a publicly traded oil and gas services company in the acquisition of the assets of an oil and gas research and technology company.
- Represented a private energy company as both buyer and seller in multiple upstream oil and gas asset purchase transactions.
- Represented an entrepreneur in the acquisition of the technology assets of a bankrupt commodities trading company.
REPRESENTATIVE BUSINESS DISPUTES
- Represented an investor in a dispute related to the repayment of loans and distribution of assets from a failed family business.
- Represented a healthcare group in a dispute among equity owners regarding equity incentive compensation and enforcement of a non-compete agreement.
- Represented a business owner in a dispute over the distribution of corporate assets and the dissolution of the corporation.
- Analyzed indemnity, earn-out, and representation and warranty provisions in purchase agreements to develop litigation strategy.
- Structuring Your Startup, UTSA CITE Technology Entrepreneurship Boot Camp (February 2019, October 2018)
- Mergers & Acquisitions: Strategies for Financial Professionals to Add Value in the Current Marketplace, San Antonio CPA Society (August 2018)
- Starting a New Business in the Wake of Tax Reform, UTSA CITE Technology Entrepreneurship Boot Camp (February 2018)
- S-Corp vs. Partnership Taxation: Tales of Busted Deals, Broken Promises and How Wise Planning Can Save the Day, San Antonio CPA Society (October 2017)
- Why an LLC is Right for Your First Start-Up, UTSA CITE Technology Entrepreneurship Boot Camp (October 2017)
- Anatomy of an Asset Purchase: Strategies for Adding Value, San Antonio CPA Society (August 2017)
- Overview of Business Entities and Tax Considerations, San Antonio Chapter of the Texas Society of Enrolled Agents (May 2017)
- The Good and the Bad: S-Corp vs. Partnership Taxation and the Alternative Entity Structure of an LLC Taxed as an S-Corp, San Antonio CPA Society (January 2017)
- Manufacturing Industry Tax Benefits & Incentives: Understanding Interest Charge Domestic International Sales Corporations (IC-DISCs), San Antonio CPA Society (November 2016)
- Steps to 'Freeze Out' a Minority Shareholder in Texas, Strasburger Closely-Held Companies Blog (May 2017)
- Co-author. Considering the Alternative Entity Structure of an LLC Taxed as an S-Corp, Today's CPA (March/April 2017)
- Strategic Use of the Divisive Merger in Texas, Strasburger Closely-Held Companies Blog (January 2017)
- Thinking of Selling Your Craft Brewery? Consider These Points, Houston Business Journal (December 2016)
- An Early Roll of the Dice: Appeal Under Conditional Finality in Federal Court, 50 Hous. L. Rev. 221 (2012)
- Co-author. The Challenges of Implementing Bans on Advertising, Promotion, and Sponsorship, Tobacco Control in Africa: People, Politics, and Policies (2011)