James “Jim” Brophy’s practice focuses on business transactions and legal compliance for for-profit and nonprofit businesses.
Jim has experience with ERISA, executive employment agreements, executive compensation programs including supplemental executive retirement plans, stock option programs, phantom stock plans, deferred-compensation plans, and long-term incentive performance plans. He also helps with the formation and licensing of insurance and reinsurance companies and banks and provides counseling concerning the regulation of banks and insurance companies.
Jim advises clients concerning Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) compliance for private and public companies.
Named among Chambers USA
Named among Best Lawyers in America®
Named among Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona by AZ Business Magazine (2017, 2021)
American Bar Association
Arizona Town Hall
The Foundation for Senior Living, Vice Chairman
Phoenix Art Museum Men’s Art Council, Past President and 1999 Cowboy Art Sale and Exhibit, Chairman
Phoenix Tax Workshop, past member Board of Directors
Western Art Associates
Western Pension and Benefits Conference, Phoenix Chapter, Past President
State Bar Licenses
- “ARPA Provides for Full COBRA Premium Subsidies,” Ryley Carlock & Applewhite Article (April 2021)
- “International Financial Reporting Standards,” International Lawyers Network Publications (November 2007)
- “State Corporate Law Comparisons of Delaware, Arizona and Nevada,” International Lawyers Network Publications (November 2007)
- Selected Tax Aspects of Real Estate Transactions
- Fiduciary Responsibility Under ERISA—An Update
- Plan Terminations and Conversions Under ERISA
- “Affordable Care Act Update: What You Need to Know About The ACA Now,” Ryley Carlock & Applewhite Seminar (March 2016)
- “Securities Aspects of Real Estate Syndication,” Realty Seminar Institute
- Phoenix Tax Workshop