Hal D. Coffey
Hal D. Coffey assists parties seeking to acquire, develop, maintain and sell commercial property. Such commercial properties include affordable housing developments, apartment buildings, hotels, shopping centers, parking garages and a combination of such.
Hal’s clients include developers, franchisees, hotel operators, commercial property managers, brokers, affordable housing organizations, non-profit corporations, community development companies and individuals. As a member of Clark Hill’s Real Estate group he concentrates his practice in all aspects of commercial real estate, including acquisition, disposition, leasing, financing, property taxes, land use and zoning.
Hal provides legal guidance in many services areas such as:
- All aspects of affordable housing development including HUD and housing financing agency regulations and advice on tax credits (Low Income Housing, New Markets, Historic Rehab, etc.)
- Property tax assessment appeals, exemptions and abatements
- Due diligence on the front end of an acquisition
- Review and analysis of title insurance issues
- Mechanics lien prevention and adjudication
- Defending/Prosecuting tenant, boundary, injunction, eminent domain and title claim issues
- Corporate organization, reorganization, disposition and acquisition
- Review and analyze current leases, SNDAs, parking easements and other use agreements
Hal is legally immersed in all aspects of commercial transactions, notably reciprocal easements, leasing, title and land use, and transfer taxes. He has had extensive experience representing clients from large multi-state supermarkets to national affordable housing developers to local apartment management companies.
Hal is consistently engaged in the real estate community, presenting at Continuing Legal Education seminars (CLEs), partaking in panel discussions, and giving lectures on property tax assessments issues, title insurance and claims.
2015-2016, 2019-2020: Super Lawyers – Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers & Rising Stars list.
2007 – 2014: Super Lawyers – Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Rising Stars list.
2010: PBA Presidential Special Achievement Award for “Get Help Now, Pennsylvania”
2009: Recipient of ACBA Outstanding Young Lawyer Award
2008: Named to Lawyers on the Fast Track by The Legal Intelligencer and PA Law Weekly
The Best Lawyers in America
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
Past President, Allegheny County Bar Association
Editor-in-Chief and Chair, ACBA Publications
Chair, ACBA Diversity Collaborative Committee
Governor ACBA BoG
Member, ACBA Finance Committee
Member, ACBA Ad Hoc Diversity & Gender Equality Committee
Council, ACBA Real Property Section
Member, ACBA Headquarters Committee
Member, ACBA Membership Committee
Member, ACBA Bench Bar Committee
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Member, PBA House of Delegates
Women in Law Division Council
Ohio State Bar Association
Co-Chair, International Council of Shopping Centers (2013-2017)
Neighborhood Legal Services Association
Volunteer Attorney, KD You & the Law
Member & Board of Trustee, Rodef Shalom Congregation
Youth Baseball Coach, Squirrel Hill Baseball Association
State Bar Licenses
- The Legal Intelligencer, “The Evolving State of Pa. Property Tax Assessment Appeals,” January 2020.
- The Young Lawyer, “Seller Disclosure Laws in Residential Real Estate,” July 2007.
- The Young Lawyer, “Boom or Bust? Protecting Your Homestead,” October 2005.
- The Young Lawyer, “Option for Paternity Leave? You’re Covered Under FMLA,” October 2004.
- “The Value of Inclusionary Zoning for the Private and Affordable Markets,” Homes Within Reach Conference CLE, December 2017.
- “Pathways to ACBA Leadership,” YLD Diversity/WLD/LGBT Rights, January 2017.
- “Unethical Conduct in the Pennsylvania Government: No Laughing Matter,” WLD CLE at ACBA Bench Bar, June 2016.
- “Transitioning Legal Experience in Oil and Gas to Commercial Real Estate”, ACBA CLE, May 2016.
- “Did I Just Say That Out Loud?” WLD CLE at ACBA Bench Bar, June 2014.
- “The Future of Retail in the City of Pittsburgh,” ICSC NextGen Program, May 2014.
- “Title Litigation Claims, Transactions Gone Wild and Other Real Estate Disclosures: How to Avoid Ethical Nightmares,” PBI Day on Real Estate, March 2014.
- “Fishing in Lake Diversity – A Panel Discussion on the Search for Diverse Attorney Candidates,” ACBA Diversity Collaborative Panel, Moderator, November 2013.
- “Considering the Rooney Rule and Other Diversity and Inclusion Best Practices for Small and Mid-Sized Firms,” ACBA Diversity Collaborative Panel, Moderator, May 2013.
- “Understanding Court Ordered Reassessments: The Allegheny County Example,” PBA RPPT Annual Meeting CLE, May 2013.
- “Ethical Perils in Commercial Practice—Who Really is Your Client?” PBI Day on Real Estate, March 2013.
- “Having it All: A Positive Work/Life Balance Discussion,” ACBA WLD, October 2012.
- “Real Property Spotlight: Cases, Legislation, Regulations and of course…Reassessments,” ACBA Bench Bar CLE, June 2012.
- “Allegheny County Reassessment Update,” ACBA Real Property Section Meeting, December 2011.
- “Doing Good Deeds…and Title Work,” PBI CLE, March 2011.
- “Top 10 Title Defects – Cured,” National Business Institute CLE, June 2010
- “Current Ethics Issues for Real Estate Lawyers,” PBI CLE, June 2008.