Forrest M. "Teo" SegerForrest M. "Teo" Seger Clark Hill
Forrest M. "Teo" Seger
Teo Seger represents clients in cases involving commercial and business disputes, business torts, shareholder disputes, state tax controversies, and contract disputes in both State and Federal Court.
Teo advises clients across several industries and works with his clients to handle matters including disputes between business owners or shareholders; disputes related to failed mergers, acquisitions, and commercial real estate transactions; and commercial contractual disputes.
Teo also advises clients on Texas franchise, sales and use, and mixed beverage taxes, including audit support, representation through the administrative process, and litigating from trial through the Texas Supreme Court.
He handles a variety of commercial and business disputes, from pre-litigation negotiations through trial, when necessary, always keeping the client’s best interest of resolution as his highest priority.
Clients value Teo’s broad experience because it serves as a constant reminder that, when they come to him, clients do not have legal problems—they have business problems that might require a legal solution.
- Negotiated favorable settlements in trademark use disputes, with a focus on the restaurant and craft beverage industries;
- Successfully represented clients in asserting and defending against contract and partnership disputes, claims of shareholder oppression and organizational mismanagement, and disputes over commercial mergers and acquisitions;
- Defended national retailer in Federal copyright dispute;
- Represented university system in successfully challenging state administrative decision;
- Defended national service provider over alleged violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act;
- Represented broker-dealers in arbitration proceedings before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
- Successfully represented national retailer at trial and on appeal on an issue of first impression in Texas tax law;
- Successfully represented national materials supplier in administrative trial contesting the overassessment of Texas sales and use tax;
- After being retained shortly before trial, negotiated favorable settlement for taxpayers in a Federal income tax dispute;
- Successfully represented taxpayer in a Federal Freedom of Information Act lawsuit to secure documents withheld by the Internal Revenue Service;
- Secured tax exemption for local non-profit organization after its initial exemption application was rejected;
- Represented third-party records retention company during a multi-year response to a IRS subpoena in a multi-billion dollar Federal audit.
- Drafted Texas Supreme Court Curiae brief regarding complex Texas tax law issues for international trade association.