Forrest M. "Teo" Seger
Teo Seger represents clients in cases involving commercial and business disputes, business torts, shareholder disputes, state tax controversies, and contract disputes in both State and Federal Court.
Teo advises clients across several industries and works with his clients to handle matters including disputes between business owners or shareholders; disputes related to failed mergers, acquisitions, and commercial real estate transactions; and commercial contractual disputes.
Teo also advises clients on Texas franchise, sales and use, and mixed beverage taxes, including audit support, representation through the administrative process, and litigating from trial through the Texas Supreme Court.
He handles a variety of commercial and business disputes, from pre-litigation negotiations through trial, when necessary, always keeping the client’s best interest of resolution as his highest priority.
Clients value Teo’s broad experience because it serves as a constant reminder that, when they come to him, clients do not have legal problems—they have business problems that might require a legal solution.
Named among Best Lawyers in America – Commercial Litigation by Best Lawyers (2022)
Named among the Rising Stars by San Antonio Scene magazine (2017)
Federal Bar Association, Member
State Bar of Texas, Member
San Antonio Bar Association, Member
Texas Young Lawyers Association, Member
University of Texas School of Law San Antonio Steering Committee, Co-Chair
Federal Bar Association – San Antonio Chapter, Director, Community Outreach Chair
Boys and Girls Club Young Achievers Program, Mentor (2015-2018)
State Bar Licenses
- Negotiated favorable settlements in trademark use disputes, with a focus on the restaurant and craft beverage industries;
- Successfully represented clients in asserting and defending against contract and partnership disputes, claims of shareholder oppression and organizational mismanagement, and disputes over commercial mergers and acquisitions;
- Defended national retailer in Federal copyright dispute;
- Represented university system in successfully challenging state administrative decision;
- Defended national service provider over alleged violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act;
- Represented broker-dealers in arbitration proceedings before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
- Successfully represented national retailer at trial and on appeal on an issue of first impression in Texas tax law;
- Successfully represented national materials supplier in administrative trial contesting the overassessment of Texas sales and use tax;
- After being retained shortly before trial, negotiated favorable settlement for taxpayers in a Federal income tax dispute;
- Successfully represented taxpayer in a Federal Freedom of Information Act lawsuit to secure documents withheld by the Internal Revenue Service;
- Secured tax exemption for local non-profit organization after its initial exemption application was rejected;
- Represented third-party records retention company during a multi-year response to a IRS subpoena in a multi-billion dollar Federal audit.
- Drafted Texas Supreme Court Curiae brief regarding complex Texas tax law issues for international trade association.
- Salt Point Timber, LLC: An Unjust Result or a Cautionary Tale?, Family Foundation Advisor (January/February 2018)
- Estate of DiMarco: Lessons From Yet Another Charitable Contribution Deduction Denied, Family Foundation Advisor (November/December 2015)
- Intern, Employee, or Volunteer? The Risks of Worker Misclassification, Family Foundation Advisor, (May/June 2015)
- Motions for New Trial and Bills of Review: What to Expect When Dealing with What You Weren’t Expecting, San Antonio Bar Association Bench Motions & Trials VII (May 2015)
- Texas Tax Update, Clark Hill Strasburger’s Tax Symposium (November 2019)
- State Tax Update, Strasburger’s Tax Symposium (November 2017)
- Smart Strategies for Expanding Your Bar, Restaurant, or Craft Beverage Operation, Local(3) Strasburger & Price, LLP (January 2017)
- State Tax Update, Strasburger’s Tax Symposium (November 2016)
- Texas Case Law Update, San Antonio CPA Society (July 2016)
- Texas Margin Tax and Sales Tax Update, Strasburger’s Tax Symposium (September 2015)
- Motions for New Trial and Bills of Review: What to Expect When Dealing with What You Weren’t Expecting, San Antonio Bar Association, Bench Motions & Trials VII (May 2015)
- TABC Permitting and Licensing Issues Affecting NonProfit Operations and Fundraising, State Bar of Texas: 12th Annual Governance of Nonprofit Organizations (August 2014)
- Raise Money Without Raising Issues: a Guide to Texas State Laws that Affect Nonprofit Fundraising, Greater New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce (August 2011)
- Employing Interns Without Creating Employment Issues, Platinum Wealth Solutions HR Symposium (June 2011)