Elizabeth Griffin helps clients in a variety of industries resolve commercial disputes and appeals in every step of the litigation process, focusing on procedural and complex liability issues.
She regularly provides advice on procedural aspects of state and federal litigation spanning from pre-suit investigation to appellate issues. Elizabeth navigates e-discovery issues by crafting efficient, cost-effective, and defensible methods of information preservation, collection, review, and production based on evolving state and federal discovery standards to prevent discovery from becoming disproportionate to the value of the case.
Elizabeth counsels clients on a variety of substantive issues, including contract and statutory interpretation, contractual indemnity, tortious interference, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and defamation. She has represented businesses in litigation involving complex commercial contract disputes, intellectual property, business torts, labor and employment, franchise, product liability, and environmental disputes. Elizabeth also assists businesses in regulatory compliance issues such as structuring and maintaining franchise systems nationwide.
Named among Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America® for Appellate Practice by Best Lawyers (2022)
Named among Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America® for Commercial Litigation by Best Lawyers (2021-2024)
Named among Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America® for Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants by Best Lawyers (2024)
Attorneys Serving the Community, Member
Dallas Women Lawyers Association & Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Mentoring Circles, 2018 Mentee
Dallas Women Lawyers Association, Member
Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Member
Dallas Bar Association, Franchise & Distribution Law Section, Chair
Dallas Bar Association, Litigation Section, Appellate Section
Dallas Bar Association, 2018 Bench Bar Committee
Dallas Bar Association, 2018 Judiciary Committee
Dallas Bar Association, 2018 Legal Ethics Committee
Dallas Bar Association, Franchise Section Board Member 2018
Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, 2018 Pathfinder
State Bar Licenses
- Prepared and argued special appearance resulting in dismissal of cargo defendant from Texas lawsuit for lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Prepared and argued successful motion for summary judgment for retail defendants in premises liability case brought by former employee.
- Prepared claim and defense analysis of complex standing, liability, and damage issues involvingenvironmental statutes (CERCLA, RCRA, TSWDA), employment statutes (FLSA, Title VII), healthcare statutes (EMTALA, Medicare), commercial contracts (fraudulent inducement, prior material breach, indemnity), and business torts (tortious interference, fraud, fiduciary duty, business disparagement) for clients in a variety of industries.
- Prepared applications for temporary restraining orders for retail and franchise clients.
- Prepared state and federal motions to dismiss on procedural grounds such as venue or pleading standards in employment, pharmaceutical, tort, and intellectual property cases.
- Prepared Anti-SLAPP motions to dismiss defamation claims.
- Prepared summary judgment briefing in complex commercial contract disputes for transportation, distribution, and retail clients.
- Prepared jury charge and pretrial materials in employment, commercial contract, and business tort cases for manufacturing, distribution, and energy clients.
- Prepared post-trial briefing in commercial collections case for an energy client.
- Prepared appellate briefing related to jurisdiction, commercial lease, and attorney’s fee expert disclosure issues for a retail client.
- Represented former corporate officer/director in a Texas Workforce Commission appeal from an employee wage claim order; successfully negated individual liability on appeal.
- Managed discovery in commercial lease and collections cases involving retail and energy clients.
- Prepared briefing to oppose Anti-SLAPP discovery for defamation defendants.
- Negotiated and prepared briefing on eDiscovery orders and protective orders in state and federal court.
- Prepared privilege logs for state and federal cases involving intellectual property and environmental disputes for technology and governmental clients.
- Negotiated discovery disputes to avoid the necessity of court intervention in commercial lease, commercial contract, and intellectual property cases for retail, energy, and technology clients.
- Successfully argued motion to compel discovery responses in a commercial indemnity case for a retail client.
- Prepared witnesses for deposition, including 30(b)(6) and fact witness depositions in intellectual property and commercial contract disputes.
- Defended fact witnesses at depositions in construction, shipping, and collections disputes.
- Prepared state and federal motions to strike, motions to quash, and/or motions to compel in commercial contract, employment, intellectual property, and business tort disputes.
- Obtained a jury verdict for an energy client in a commercial collections case. Served as co-counsel at trial with
- responsibilities including presenting opening statement, presenting and defending an expert witness, arguing
- motions for directed verdict, and arguing the jury charge.
- Successfully argued motion for summary judgment for a transportation defendant in an employment dispute.
- Negotiated settlements of commercial lease and collections disputes for distribution and retail clients.
- Participated in mediations of intellectual property and commercial contract disputes for energy, construction, technology, and distribution industry clients.