Elizabeth GriffinElizabeth Griffin Clark Hill
Elizabeth Griffin is a litigator who helps businesses resolve commercial disputes and appeals with a focus on procedural and complex liability issues. She regularly provides advice on procedural aspects of state and federal litigation spanning from pre-suit investigation to appellate issues. Elizabeth navigates e-discovery issues by crafting efficient, cost-effective, and defensible methods of information preservation, collection, review, and production based on evolving state and federal discovery standards to prevent discovery from becoming disproportionate to the value of the case.
Elizabeth counsels clients on a variety of substantive issues, including contract and statutory interpretation, contractual indemnity, tortious interference, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and defamation. She has represented businesses in litigation involving complex commercial contract disputes, intellectual property, business torts, labor and employment, franchise, product liability, and environmental disputes. Elizabeth also assists businesses in regulatory compliance issues such as structuring and maintaining franchise systems nationwide.
PROCEDURAL & APPELLATE
- Prepared and argued special appearance resulting in dismissal of cargo defendant from Texas lawsuit for lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Prepared and argued successful motion for summary judgment for retail defendants in premises liability case brought by former employee.
- Prepared claim and defense analysis of complex standing, liability, and damage issues involving environmental statutes (CERCLA, RCRA, TSWDA), employment statutes (FLSA, Title VII), healthcare statutes (EMTALA, Medicare), commercial contracts (fraudulent inducement, prior material breach, indemnity), and business torts (tortious interference, fraud, fiduciary duty, business disparagement) for clients in a variety of industries.
- Prepared applications for temporary restraining orders for retail and franchise clients.
- Prepared state and federal motions to dismiss on procedural grounds such as venue or pleading standards in employment, pharmaceutical, tort, and intellectual property cases.
- Prepared Anti-SLAPP motions to dismiss defamation claims.
- Prepared summary judgment briefing in complex commercial contract disputes for transportation, distribution, and retail clients.
- Prepared jury charge and pretrial materials in employment, commercial contract, and business tort cases for manufacturing, distribution, and energy clients.
- Prepared post-trial briefing in commercial collections case for an energy client.
- Prepared appellate briefing related to jurisdiction, commercial lease, and attorney's fee expert disclosure issues for a retail client.
- Represented former corporate officer/director in a Texas Workforce Commission appeal from an employee wage claim order; successfully negated individual liability on appeal.
- Managed discovery in commercial lease and collections cases involving retail and energy clients.
- Prepared briefing to oppose Anti-SLAPP discovery for defamation defendants.
- Negotiated and prepared briefing on eDiscovery orders and protective orders in state and federal court.
- Prepared privilege logs for state and federal cases involving intellectual property and environmental disputes for technology and governmental clients.
- Negotiated discovery disputes to avoid the necessity of court intervention in commercial lease, commercial contract, and intellectual property cases for retail, energy, and technology clients.
- Successfully argued motion to compel discovery responses in a commercial indemnity case for a retail client.
- Prepared witnesses for deposition, including 30(b)(6) and fact witness depositions in intellectual property and commercial contract disputes.
- Defended fact witnesses at depositions in construction, shipping, and collections disputes.
- Prepared state and federal motions to strike, motions to quash, and/or motions to compel in commercial contract, employment, intellectual property, and business tort disputes.
CASE MANAGEMENT & RESOLUTION
- Obtained a jury verdict for an energy client in a commercial collections case. Served as co-counsel at trial with responsibilities including presenting opening statement, presenting and defending an expert witness, arguing motions for directed verdict, and arguing the jury charge.
- Successfully argued motion for summary judgment for a transportation defendant in an employment dispute.
- Negotiated settlements of commercial lease and collections disputes for distribution and retail clients.
- Participated in mediations of intellectual property and commercial contract disputes for energy, construction, technology, and distribution industry clients.
- Presenter. "Diversity, Inclusion & Equity - You Need to DIE on this Hill," Housing Authorities of Texas Symposium, Clark Hill (November 2020)
- Presenter. "Implicit Bias - What Is It and How Do We Deal With It?" Housing Authorities of Texas Symposium, Clark Hill Strasburger (November 2019)
- Presenter. "Top 10 Employment Law Pitfalls," Region 10 EdLaw Conference (October 2017)
- Panelist. "First Generation Attorney Panel," SMU Law Annual Diversity Week (September 2017)
- Co-presenter. "Recent Developments in Franchise Case Law," Dallas Bar Association's Franchise and Distribution Section (February 2017)
- Co-presenter. "Topics Sure to Curl Any HR Elf's Toes," Strasburger Employment Law Breakfast (December 2016)
- Presenter. "You Must Be Crazy To Work Here - Mental Health Meets the ADAAA," Brazos Valley Society for Human Resource Management Luncheon (November 2016)
- Co-presenter. "2015 Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and the Heller Opinion on Discovery," Strasburger & Price, LLP Practice Group Meetings (Winter 2015)
- Co-author. Best Practices for Pleading and Proving Attorney's Fees, Dallas Bar Association Headnotes (July 2017)
- Co-author. Dealing with Untimely Disclosures, Dallas Bar Association Headnotes (April 2017)
- Co-author. EMTALA and the Scope of Disparate Care Discovery, State Bar of Texas Advanced Medical Torts Course (March 2016)
- 2015 Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Strasburger Trial & Error Blog (December 2015)