Brad Oxford advises private, public, and tax-exempt clients on retirement and welfare benefit plans and executive compensation matters.
Brad’s practice focuses on employee benefit law, executive compensation, estate planning, and probate, by helping employers provide effective financial products and employees take advantage of available programs. This includes plan design and implementation, administration, compliance requirements under ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code, fiduciary duty issues, IRS and Department of Labor audits, voluntary corrections, mergers and acquisitions and litigation.
Brad assists clients with 401(k) plans, defined benefit pension plans, 403(b) and 457 plans, and ESOPs. Regarding welfare benefit plans, he advises on COBRA, HIPAA, cafeteria plan, occupational injury plan, and Affordable Care Act requirements. Regarding executive compensation, he designs, drafts, and provides tax advice regarding bonus plans, incentive and nonqualified stock option plans, deferred compensation plans, phantom equity and severance plans.
With his experience in the retirement and executive compensation area, Brad puts this knowledge to work in the estate planning and probate area, preparing and providing counsel on wills and trusts, family limited partnerships, gift and generation skipping tax planning, estate and gift tax returns, tax planning for retirement plan and IRA distributions, marital property agreements, buy sell agreements, and estate administration matters. He is Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Named on SWBA Board of Directors (2023-2026)
Named among the Best Lawyers in America® for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law by Best Lawyers (2007-2024)
AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell (1991-2017)
Named a Texas Super Lawyer in Employee Benefits by Thomson Reuters (2016-2017)
Named as a Top Rated Lawyer in Trusts and Estates, American Lawyer Media (2015)
Named as a Top Rated Lawyer in Taxation Law, American Lawyer Media (2013)
SMU Dedman School of Law, San Antonio Alumni Chapter (2016-2017), Host Committee Member
State Bar Licenses
- Acted as primary counsel for major tax-exempt biomedical institution with regard to employee benefit plan matters.
- Acted as primary counsel for manufacturing company with respect to employee benefit plan matters.
- Acted as primary counsel for publicly-traded bank on all employee benefit plan matters.
- Acted as primary counsel for publicly-traded retail store in connection with all employee benefit plan matters.
- Acted as primary counsel on all employee benefit matters for publicly-traded manufacturer of health care devices.
- Advised corporation engaged in educational research with respect to S corporation ESOP.
- Represented University in connection with employee benefit plan matters.
- Represented University with respect to employee benefit matters. Advised with respect to 403(b) plan.
- Represented husband and wife in connection with estate planning matters.
- Represented husband and wife with respect to estate planning matters.
- Represented large tax-exempt health care provider in connection with employee benefit plan issues.
- Represented individual client and siblings as beneficiaries of mother’s estate, getting executor to close estate which had been open for over 10 years.
- Represented former chief accountant of Fortune 500 company with respect to deferred compensation benefits payable by company following termination of employment.
- Acted as co-counsel in an acquisition by means of a tender offer and follow on short-form merger pursuant to Delaware law with a transaction value of approximately $1.7 billion.
- Acted as primary outside counsel for publicly-traded insurance company on employee benefit plan matters.
- Represented large tax-exempt medical research institution on employee benefit matters in connection with acquisition by university.
- Represented surviving spouse as executor of wife’s estate.
- Represented executor of estate in connection with estate matter which lasted over 10 years due to litigation among and between decedent’s children.
- Represented client in connection with buy sell agreement.
- Represented client in connection with pre-marital agreement.