Steven F. Stapleton has extensive experience in commercial litigation, including complex breach of contract claims, business ownership disputes, minority oppression actions, labor and employment litigation (including the enforcement of non-compete agreements), and a variety of specialized municipal litigation.
He has tried cases before both state and federal courts and successfully argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals and both the Michigan Court of Appeals and Michigan Supreme Court. He represents clients in arbitrations and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. He has represented numerous national, regional, and local companies and municipalities in a variety of matters, in Michigan and other states.
He also serves as General Counsel to the Michigan Amateur Hockey Association and is a member of the USA Hockey Legal Council. He serves as special counsel to the Texas Amateur Hockey Association and Utah Amateur Hockey Association. He is familiar with the obligations under state and federal laws related to the sports entity and often assists his sports related clients on corporate governance and restructuring, contract review and drafting, negotiations and employment related issues. Steve also has extensive experience in implementing and monitoring comprehensive background screening programs for sports organizations and conducting sensitive investigations on behalf of the sports entity related to allegations of abuse or potential ethics violations.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- “The Art of The Deal: Building and Financing Sports Arenas and Entertainment Venues,” ABA Section on State and Local Government Law, Spring Symposium, 2015
- “Government In The Workplace, Of The Workplace, And For The Workplace: Who Can You Hire, What Can They Say About You, What Can You Do About It, And When Do You Have To Pay Them,” ABA Section on State and Local Government Law, Fall Council Meeting, 2014.
- "Legal Update, Michigan Concussion Legislation,” Michigan Amateur Hockey Association Annual Meeting, 2014
- "Financial Challenges to Local Government CLE,” ABA Section on State and Local Government Law Fall Council Meeting, 2013
- “Emergency Manager Laws as an Alternative to Bankruptcy in Local Government CLE,” ABA Annual Meeting, 2013
- "Legal Consideration in National Governing Body (NGB) Compliance and Governance," University of Michigan Sports Law Society, Going for the Gold Sports Law Symposium, 2012
- "Non-Profit Corporation/BestFinancial PracticesLegal Updates for Local Associations," Michigan Amateur Hockey Association Annual Meeting, 2012
- "Non-Profit Corporation/BestFinancial PracticesLegal Updates for Local Associations," Michigan Amateur Hockey Association Annual Meeting, 2011
- "Adventures in City Management, The Right to Push the Send Button is Not Unlimited/Anonymous Internet Authors" Iowa City/County Management Association (IaCMA), 2011
- "The New Letters to the Editor and Anonymous Internet Authors," ICMA 96th Annual Conference, President's Colloquium, 2010