Sean P. Fitzgerald
Sean Fitzgerald represents financial institutions in both loan transactions and complex workouts in federal and state court actions.
Sean’s 35 years of practicing law have given him a vast array of experience in multiple areas of business, corporate transactional, and complex commercial litigation, including representing clients non-bankruptcy receiverships matters in both state and federal courts, as well as prosecuting commercial breach of contract issues in a variety of business areas. He has led transaction teams in joint venture transactions, franchise transactions, and hotel purchases.
Martindale-Hubbell AV Pre-Eminent Designation
Best Lawyers in America – Commercial Litigation
Leaders in the Law by Michigan Lawyers Weekly (2013)
Illinois Bar Association, State and Local Taxation Council, Chairman (1996)
Kent County Building Authority, Vice Chair, Secretary (2003-Present)
Member of Board of Directors of Cascade Hills Country Club (2015-Present)
President of Cascade Hills Country Club (2020)
President of Grand Rapids Chapter of Legatus (2017)
State Bar Licenses
- Closed transactions in amounts of up to $350 million, covering collateral in multiple states.
- Defended an auto industry client against a foreign national regarding multi-million-dollar trade secret claims.
- Litigated minority shareholder disputes for health care and manufacturing clients.
- Reduced property tax assessments in both Michigan and Illinois regarding commercial manufacturing facilities, multi-unit commercial/residential properties as well as private country clubs and daily fee golf courses.
- Litigated over 100 workout and restructuring cases on behalf of financial institutions in state and federal court involving receiverships, priority claims between multiple lenders, sales of real estate portfolios, lender liability claims, and commercial real estate foreclosures on commercial loans over one million dollars.
- Defended Tier 1 and Tier 2 auto industry companies regarding breach of contract claims as well as tooling quality claims.