Robert Tomilson advises insurers, reinsurers, and intermediaries in contentious and non-contentious matters, including international reinsurance disputes and insurance regulatory investigations.
Robert has been legal counsel in the insurance and financial services industry for more than 20 years, both in private practice and as in-house counsel at a Fortune 100 insurance company.
Named among The Best Lawyers in America® – Insurance Law and Litigation-Insurance by Best Lawyers (2018-2023)
Who’s Who Legal – Insurance & Reinsurance (2019)
AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Association
Eastern University, Board of Trustees
Drexel University, Thomas R. Kline School of Law, Advisory Board
Drexel University, Thomas R. Kline School of Law, Adjunct Professor of Insurance Law
Restatement of the Law: Insurance Liability, Advisor
The Anthony J. Drexel Society
The Circle of the New Criterion
State Bar Licenses
- Lead counsel for carrier in arbitration against four excess and a catastrophe layer of liability reinsurance involving more than $100M mass tort claims.
- Represented health care carrier in $40M medical stop arbitration with Plan sponsor, included allegations of improper calculation of Plan premium and ex gratia payments to beneficiaries.
- Lead counsel for an MGA in a four-state Insurance Department investigation regarding unlicensed activity and excessive fees.
- Lead counsel for an actuarial firm before the Securities and Exchange Commission as well as in SDNY class action, wherein the allegations included the insufficiency of a public company’s loss reserves.
- Lead counsel in London-situs arbitration, where testimony and documents produced in the United States, involving the experience account balance of more than $25M for a property catastrophe excess, finite retrocession agreement involving 9-11 risks.
- National and coordinating counsel for excess workers comp carrier providing coverage for self-funded employers in all fifty states.
- Established a Delaware-domiciled risk purchasing group (an RPG) for a 14,000-member trade association for the purchase of liability insurance on a group basis.
- Represented Tokyo-based international insurer in establishing a reinsurance syndicate that allowed it to cede certain carved out risks under general liability policies.
- Provided a comprehensive “insurable interest” opinion for a transaction raising $100M wherein life policies were used as collateral for bondholder commitments.
- Represented a reinsurer before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court on the right of set-off among multiple contracts with an insolvent Pennsylvania insurer.
- Represented Barbados-based reinsurer in transaction wherein a $300M dividend was made to North American and parental guarantees provided to cedents.