Pamela A. PalmerPamela Palmer Clark Hill
Pamela A. Palmer
Pamela A. Palmer assists clients in complex litigation and advises clients in insurance coverage, civil and commercial disputes.
Pam focuses her practice on complex litigation and client advice in insurance coverage, admiralty, transportation, environmental and other civil and commercial disputes. Her clients have included insurers, international carriers, cargo owners, freight forwarders, brokers, schools and churches.
Pam has handled appeals in several federal circuit courts as well as the appellate courts in California, Washington and New York. Pam is a frequent author and speaker on insurance and transportation related topics.
- Appellate practice in federal circuit and state appellate courts involving transportation, environmental, and personal injury matters.
- Advise and defense of extracontractual liability claims involving environmental, commercial general liability, marine and other insurance policies.
- Defense of vessel, trucking and cargo interests in personal injury, cargo damage and other maritime and transportation disputes.
- Representation and advise on sexual abuse claims in federal and state courts on behalf of churches, schools and insurers.
- Representation of insurers and underwriters in the investigation and analysis of suspicious claims including arson, theft, wildfire, vessel sinkings and other claims.
- Drafted and advised on insurance policies, shipping contracts, crewing contracts and other documents for insurers and vessel owners.
- Presenter, “'You Could Almost See Other Dimensions': A Post-Pandemic International Transportation Tell-All,” Transportation Lawyers Association 53rd Transportation Law Virtual Institute, November 12, 2020
- Co-author, “Marine Insurance — Coverages Available for Maritime Risks,” Damages Recoverable in Maritime Matters, Second Edition, American Bar Association, March 2020
- Moderator, "Don’t Be the Devil in a White City: Transportation In-House Counsel Roundtable,” Transportation Lawyers Association Regional Seminar and Bootcamp, January 24, 2020
- Moderator, "Anatomy of an Emergency Response—By Land, Sea, and Air: In-House Counsel, Government and Insurance in the Golden Hour,” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section 2019 Conference, May 3, 2019
- Moderator, "Broker, Insurer and Insured Relationships: Successfully Tackling a Natural Disaster Large Loss Event," Admiralty and Maritime Conference, ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, March 22, 2019
- Moderator, "Discovery and the Extra-Contractual Suit," ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section Conference, April 27, 2017
- Moderator, "P&I Club and Insurance Roundtable," American Conference Institute's 6th Annual Forum on Admiralty and Maritime Claims and Litigation, January 31, 2017
- Author, "New York District Court Rules on Trigger and Sufficiency of Notice in Long Tail Environmental Claim," MPP Environmental Law Newsletter (Jan 2017)
- Author, "New York Appellate Division Rules on Allocation to Insurers When No Insurance Is Available In the Marketplace," MPP Environmental Law Newsletter (Dec. 2016)
- Presenter, “Ethics & Insurance Claims Handling” and “The California Fair Claims Practices Act and Regulations,” XL Catlin, March 15, 2016
- Moderator, "The Business of Shipping: In-House Views on the Migrant Crisis; Cost of Complying with Pollution Regulations; Emerging Issues with respect to Interconnection Between Oil and Gas Exploration and Production and More," 5th Annual Forum on Admiralty & Maritime Claims and Litigation, American Conference Institute, January 27, 2016
- Moderator, "View from the Marine Insurance Claims Professional," Mariners Club of Massachusetts 2015 Educational Seminar, April 2, 2015
- Co-Chair and speaker: ACI's Fourth Annual Forum on Admiralty & Maritime Claims and Litigation; Houston, Texas, February 4-5, 2015 (Moderator: "Insider Perspective: In-House Views")
- "Admiralty Practice in the 21st Century: Navigating Which Circuit Splits Will Lead to a Supreme Court Review", ABA TIPS Annual Meeting, August 7, 2014
- "Good Faith Claims Handling: Minimizing Bad Faith Claim Exposure," Defense Research Institute’s Insurance Coverage and Claims Conference, April 2, 2014
- "Procedural Issues and Considerations: Jurisdiction, Venue, Pleadings, Forum Selection Clauses, Removal, Juries and Beyond," American Conference Institute’s 3rd Annual Forum on Admiralty & Maritime Claims and Litigation, February 28, 2014
- “The Insurance Response to Disasters” ABA Premier CLE, April 15, 2013
- Washington Supreme Court Ruling Raises Considerations for Carriers Nationwide, MPP email alert (February 2013)
- California Supreme Court Sides With Policyholder on Allocation of Coverage in Progressive Damage Claim, MPP email alert (August 2012)
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, YLC panel speaker on maritime industry development, May 3, 2012
- Sackett v. The Environmental Protective Agency: Pre-Enforcement Review of an EPA Compliance Order - What If the EPA Got It Wrong?, Defense Research Institute (January 2012)
- BP’s $700 Million Excess Insurance Question – Did Pollution Damage Originate Above the Surface of the Water? ABA Tort Trial Insurance Practice Section Admiralty Special Edition Newsletter (August 2010)
- Recent Developments in Insurance Coverage Litigation, ABA Tort Trial Insurance Practice Section Law Journal (July 2010)
- Employment Practices Liability Coverage: Updates and Strategies in Addressing Employment-Based Claims, American Bar Association Section of Litigation (March 2010)