Mason N. Floyd
Mason N. Floyd defends individuals and corporate clients in litigation and government investigations conducted by the Department of Justice (DOJ), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Mason also represents clients in complex civil litigation matters in federal and state courts across the country.
False Claims Act Matters
Mason’s recent work includes defending healthcare providers, medical billing companies and pharmacy owners in False Claims Act litigation and parallel criminal investigations.
White Collar Criminal Defense and Counseling
Mason represents individual and corporate defendants facing federal criminal prosecution arising from allegations of wire and mail fraud, tax fraud, insider trading, healthcare fraud, environmental crimes, mortgage fraud, and conspiracy.Mason routinely counsels individuals and companies subject to SEC subpoenas and investigations concerning alleged violations of securities laws with respect to a wide variety of financial transactions.
On behalf of individuals, Mason represents and counsels sales executives of pharmaceutical companies charged with violations of the Medicare Anti-Kickback laws, as well as physicians and office managers in health care fraud investigations. He has represented multiple foreign nationals in major U.S. and foreign antitrust investigations.
Mason defends a variety of clients in disputes related to data breaches, privacy violations, technology contracts, violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and Stored Communications Act, amongst other statutory violations. He has litigated matters, including class actions, in multiple jurisdictions in both state and federal courts on data breaches.
Financial Institutions Representation
Mason regularly represents and counsels an Illinois bank on numerous matters involving issues related to the Uniform Commercial Code, Bank Secrecy Act, Anti-Money Laundering and Compliance-related issues.
Complex Commercial Litigation Counseling and Advocacy
In other complex commercial litigation matters, Mason represents many client companies in employment discrimination and retaliation lawsuits.
Rising Star in White Collar Criminal Defense Litigation since 2014, Illinois Super Lawyers
Emerging Lawyer by Leading Lawyers in Commercial Litigation since 2015
American Bar Association, Section on Litigation
Federal Bar Association, Chicago Chapter
Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago, Board of Governors, 2014 – present
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Chicago, 2005-2007
State Bar Licenses
- Obtained complete dismissal for a group of clients in District Court and successfully argued and won affirmation by a three-judge panel at the Seventh Circuit.
- Successfully advocated for a client in a securities fraud action before an SEC panel including the Deputy Director of Enforcement.
- Successfully negotiated and resolved an insider trading investigation.
- Advised client on the avoidance of enforcement actions on behalf of multiple entities in relation to EB-5 investments.
- Represented an individual in an SEC action alleging an investment fraud scheme involving millions of dollars.
- Helped the defense of an individual in an investigation of international racketeering conspiracy and commercial bribery involving over $18.5 million in alleged bribes to foreign government officials. He has also represented individuals in matters alleging criminal violations of the Clean Water Act and related environmental statutes.
- Successfully defended a records management company in a data breach matter seeking over $5,000,000 in damages.
- Defended two traders of a national banking institution in a securities fraud action involving more than $500 million in damages.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order and permanent injunctive relief against three former executives who misappropriated patented technology from a major corporation and started a competing business in China.