Lauri A. Kavulich
Lauri A. Kavulich litigates labor and employment matters, and she frequently defends clients in jury trials ranging from sexual harassment and discrimination to commercial litigation and antitrust.
Lauri’s career as a litigator has spanned more than 30 years. During that time, she has litigated a variety of cases such as personal injury, insurance coverage, antitrust, commercial litigation, toxic tort, and employment litigation, including FELA. Lauri also handles § 1983 litigation for government entities and has successfully defended such entities.
Lauri has extensive experience in employment practice litigation in state and federal administrative proceedings and courts for governmental entities, railroads, for both large and small employers. As an employment litigator, she serves as a consultant to employers regarding FMLA, ADA, handbooks, employment policies and procedures, workers compensation, non-compete agreements, terminations, and virtually any issue regarding employees. She has extensive experience in grievance arbitrations and issues that arise under collective bargaining agreements, including under the NLRA. In addition, she represents employers in administrative and court proceedings filed under such statutes as the ADA, FMLA, Title VII, PHRA, ADEA, and FELA.
Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2004 to present
Top 50 Female Lawyers in Pennsylvania, Philadelphia Magazine
Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers
Selected “40 Under 40,” Philadelphia Business Journal
Lawyers on the Fast Track, The Legal Intelligencer
AV rated, Martindale-Hubbell
National Association of Professional Women
Philadelphia Bar Association
Board Member, Independence Visitor Center, Philadelphia
Board Member, William Way LGBT Community Center
Member – Eastern District of Pennsylvania Federal Court Merit Selection Panel for Magistrate Judge Reappointments 2020
National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
State Bar Licenses
- Quoted, SHRM.org, “Are Noncompetes Enforceable During the COVID-19 Pandemic?” October 1, 2020.
- Author, The Legal Intelligencer, “The Lead: Workplace Issues Affecting You Now,” Bimonthly article series for law firm and legal department leaders. Topics include wellness in the workplace, addiction in the legal industry, managing and supporting employees virtually. 2019-present.
- Quoted, SHRM.org, “What Should Employers Do When Workers Exhaust FMLA Leave?” May 20, 2019.
- Author, The Legal Intelligencer, “The ‘Freedom to Work’ Act and What It Means for Noncompetes in PA,” November 2018.
- Lauri Kavulich Quoted in The Legal Intelligencer: Employer’s ‘Honest Belief’ Thwarts FMLA Retaliation Claim – January 30, 2017
- Author, Clark Hill E-Alert, “What Employers Need to Know About Pennsylvania’s New Medical Marijuana Act,” May 2016.
- “The Impact of the Medical Marijuana Act on Employers,” The Legal Intelligencer/Pennsylvania Law Weekly, April 2016
- “When a Workers’ Comp Case Turns Into a Minefield of Litigation,” The Legal Intelligencer, Labor & Employment Special Section, November 2016
- Presenter, “Managing Where the ADA, FMLA, and Workers Comp Intersect,” Annual National Workers’ Compensation & Disability Conference & Expo, Las Vegas, Nevada, November 6-8, 2019.
- Presenter, “Best Practices in ADA, FMLA, and Workers’ Compensation,” Lorman Webinar, March 2019.
- Presenter, “Best Practices in ADA, FMLA, and Workers’ Compensation,” Lorman Webinar, September 2018.
- Presenter, “Best Practices in ADA, FMLA, and Workers’ Compensation,” Lorman Webinar, March 2018.
- Presenter, “Best Practices in ADA, FMLA, and Workers’ Compensation,” Lorman Webinar, September 2017.
- WEBINAR: “Best Practices in ADA, FMLA, and Workers’ Compensation” 2017
- Presenter, “FMLA Compliance – What Every Employer Needs to Know,” Delaware Valley Labor and Employment Law Conference, April 2017.
- Speaker, “Employment Law Updates – Changes in Employment Laws That You Need to Know,” CLE After Hours, NALS of Philadelphia, February 2017.
- Presenter, “Don’t Let Workers’ Comp Claims Generate FMLA, ADA, or Discrimination Complaints,” 25th Annual National Workers’ Compensation & Disability Conference & Expo, New Orleans, Louisiana, November 2016.
- Presenter, “Employment Issues Arising Out of a Personal Injury Claim,” Dispute Resolution Institute’s 3rd Annual Personal Injury Practicum, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, November 2016.
- Presenter, “Workers Compensation and FMLA and ADA Claims,” Greater Philadelphia Executive Claims Counsel, September 2016.
- Presenter, “Hot Topics in Labor & Employment Law,” “Mental Health Issues in the Workplace,” “Will My Employee Ever Work Full Time and at Full Capacity Again?” Delaware Valley Labor & Employment Law Conference, April 2016.
- Presenter, “Update on Pennsylvania’s ‘HOT TOPICS’ in Asbestos,” ACI’s 18th National Forum on Asbestos Claims and Litigation.