Katherine T. GarberKatherine Garber Clark Hill
Katherine T. Garber
Katherine T. Garber litigates a variety of matters for her clients as well as actively negotiates, prepares, and reviews contracts for clients involved in onshore and offshore energy operations and maritime services.
Kathy advises her clients from pre-litigation negotiations through trial and appeal, focusing on business and commercial disputes, insurance coverage issues, personal injury and property damage claims, and cargo and freight claims. In her contractual practice, she advises clients primarily on contractual indemnity, insurance, and related-risk shifting issues.
Clients value Kathy’s experience because she focuses on achieving the best outcome for the client in the particular situation.
- Obtained summary judgment for transportation broker against shipper on federal preemption of state law claims other than breach of contract, under 49 U.S.C. § 14501(c). Huntington Operating Corp. v. Sybonney Express, Inc., No. H-08-781, 2010 WL 1930087 (S.D. Tex. May 11, 2010).
- Obtained judgment in arbitration in favor of managing general agent against retail insurance agent in dispute regarding placement of coverage.
- Obtained dismissal of gas detection service company in arbitration for property damage resulting from offshore platform explosion.
- Represented numerous property owners and managers against suits brought for injuries resulting from criminal activities on premises.
- Represented general contractors against suits brought for injuries to employees of subcontractors on job sites.
- Served as coverage counsel for excess insurer in lead contamination lawsuit involving multi-million dollar construction project.
- Served as coverage counsel for excess insurer in lawsuit alleging personal injuries resulting from ammonia release at chemical facility.