John K. Spiller
John Spiller represents companies in a wide variety of matters, including business and commercial disputes, products liability, construction defect disputes and all types of catastrophic injury cases.
John also represents vessel owners in all types of disputes, including Jones Act, vessel collision/allisions, and cargo damage claims.
Houston Bar Association, Board of Directors (2010-2014)
Houston Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow, Nominating Committee
Houston Lawyer Referral Service, Board of Trustees (2012-2013)
LegalLine Program, Committee Chair
Lone Star Legal Aid, Board of Directors (2008-2011)
HBA Habitat for Humanity Committee, Chair (2012-2013)
Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program, Board of Directors (2002-2012), Executive Committee member (2004-2010), Chair (2009-2010)
State Bar Licenses
- Obtained dismissal of personal injury claim arising out of accident aboard client vessel, which was affirmed by U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Defended a national bank and their mortgage subsidiary in a lawsuit alleging fraud, misrepresentation, and other causes of action and seeking more than $10 million dollars in damages. The case, which was prosecuted by a nationally recognized plaintiff’s attorney, settled on favorable terms after the court dismissed most of the causes of action during trial and ordered the parties to mediation.
- Obtained summary judgment in a products liability case brought by multiple refiners, including one of the world’s largest petroleum refiners, where the plaintiffs were seeking a collective $75 million dollars in damages. After summary judgment was granted against several of the refineries, the case settled for the cost of defense.
- Defense jury verdict of accounting firm after a four-week trial in a lawsuit involving more than 20 plaintiffs with claims of accounting malpractice and securities fraud.
- Defense judgment in three-week jury trial involving claims of minority shareholder oppression in a closely held corporation.
- Prepared, argued and secured summary judgment in a “bet the company” lawsuit in state district court in Beaumont, Texas where the plaintiff, a large privately owned corporation, sought over $70 million in damages against the firm client and had previously received substantial settlements from co-defendants. The summary judgment was affirmed on appeal.
- Defense jury verdict in negligence/products liability lawsuit where plaintiff sought over two million dollars in damages.
- Prosecution of lawsuit in favor of company against former executives and officers. Settled on terms favorable to client during trial.
- Obtained dismissal, without payment, of attorney malpractice claim related to patent infringement suit where plaintiffs sought several million dollars in damages.
- Obtained complete summary judgment for national franchising company in a wrongful death dram shop lawsuit in state court in Galveston County involving an accident where a mother and father were struck and killed in front of their five children.
- Obtained complete defense verdict at trial of a seven-plaintiff lawsuit arising out of a collision involving a tractor-trailer and a minivan.
- Obtained a complete summary judgment on behalf of a national retail company in a matter involving a former vendor seeking to recoup almost $2 million in product inventory, including labels, bottles, and packaging, made specifically for the company.
- Second chaired medical device products liability action involving orthopedic hardware that broke after implantation. All claims of manufacturing, marketing, and design defect were dismissed at the close of evidence. Although the jury found no negligence against the client, it did find a misrepresentation about the product, but only awarded plaintiff 10% of the damages sought.
- Coordinated the defense of a medical device manufacturer in over 150 cases in Houston and the south Texas region, obtaining dismissal of 25 cases without payment by client and favorable settled an additional 50 cases for less than 10% of the anticipated cost of defense of claims.
- Defense jury verdict in automotive products liability suit.
- Obtained dismissal of automotive products liability suit on day of trial after successfully excluding plaintiff’s sole liability expert.