John A. Huddleston
John A. “Alex” Huddleston is experienced in a broad range of commercial and tort litigation matters.
His practice includes:
- business and commercial litigation;
- construction litigation;
- defense of professional liability claims against architects, engineers, accountants and attorneys;
- banking and securities litigation;
- personal injury litigation;
- products liability, and
- arbitration and mediation.
Alex is Board Certified in the following areas:
- Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Civil Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Civil Pretrial Practice Advocacy by the National Board of Civil Pretrial Practice Advocacy
Named San Antonio, Texas’ 2021 Litigation – Construction “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America
Named among Best Lawyers in America – Commercial Litigation, Construction Law, Litigation – Banking & Finance, Litigation – Construction (2005-2022)
Named Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters (2006-2018, 2021)
Named among the Best Lawyers by San Antonio Scene Magazine (2011-2014)
Rated Martindale-Hubble AV Preeminent by Lexis Nexis
American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow (inducted 2015)
American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow (inducted 2015)
American Arbitration Association, Arbitrator – Construction Panel and Commercial Panel
American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Construction Industry Section – Council Member, Continuing Legal Education Committee, Texas Pattern Jury Charges Committee
State Bar of Texas, Litigation Section, Construction Law Section, District 10 B Grievance Committee, former Chairman
San Antonio Bar Association, former Board Member
American Bar Foundation, Member
Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
San Antonio Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Civil Trial Law Advisory Commission
Defense Research Institute, Member
Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Member
Trucking Industry Defense Association, Member
American Inns of Court, William S. Sessions Inn
Bexar County Legal Aid Association, former Board Member
Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid, former Board Member
Rotary Club of San Antonio, Member
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation South Central Texas Chapter, former Board President
Any Baby Can of San Antonio, former Board Member
State Bar Licenses
- Represented national bank in litigation involving claims of fraud and breach of complex loan agreement secured by hundreds of oil and gas leases and negotiated favorable settlement.
- Represented radio broadcaster and company president in jury trial of suit by radio station broker in federal district court in San Antonio involving claims of fraud and breach of contract resulting in jury verdict of no liability for company president and no award of punitive damages.
- Represented securities broker dealer and negotiated favorable settlement of litigation in state court in Cameron County, Texas brought by family of deceased customers alleging fraud, unauthorized trading, mismanagement of accounts, improper selection of investments, churning of accounts, and negligent supervision of branch manager.
- Represented officers and directors of national bank in shareholder’s derivative suit in Cameron County, Texas, alleging fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and other claims and negotiated favorable settlement resulting in clients retaining ownership and control of bank management.
- Defended Medicaid claims processor in qui tam/false claims act suits in federal courts and obtained summary judgments of no liability in favor of clients.
- Represented automobile manufacturer in jury trial of fraud suit by dealer in state court in Cameron County, Texas
CONSTRUCTION AND PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY LITIGATION
- Represented general contractor in two suits brought by subcontractor in Atascosa and La Salle Counties, related to failure of paint jobs on large sour gas plant projects which resulted in substantial recovery for client.
- Defended air conditioning equipment supplier in litigation brought by school district in Nueces County, Texas, related to installation of numerous units on multiple school buildings and obtained order of dismissal in favor of client without any settlement payment.
- Represented civil engineering firm in two suits brought by school district in Bexar County, Texas, related to drainage design of elementary school campuses and negotiated very favorable settlement at mediation.
- Represented structural engineering firm in two lawsuits brought by school district in Star County, Texas, related to design of school buildings and negotiated favorable settlements prior to mediation and trial.
- Defended architectural firm in legthy arbitration proceedings in Houston involving claims of design and construction defects in multiple buildings on high school campus and negotiated favorable settlement with owner following conclusion of arbitration hearing.
- Represented mechanical electrical and plumbing engineer in arbitration in Brownsville, Texas involving alleged design and construction defects in hospital HVAC system and negotiated favorable settlement with hospital owner.
- Represented large metal building contractor which designed and erected multiple large buildings on a high school campus in suit in Bexar County, Texas brought by general contractor for breach of contract, fraud and delay damages and obtained summary judgment for client and later negotiated favorable settlement after appeal by adverse party.
- Defended architectural firm in four suits in Hidalgo County, Texas brought by school district alleging numerous design and construction defects in fourteen school buildings and negotiated settlement of all claims.
- Defended mechanical electrical and plumbing engineering firm in lawsuit brought by school district in Webb County, Texas alleging numerous design and construction defects in new high school building and negotiated favorable settlement.
- Defended structural and civil engineering firm in suit brought by residential subdivision developer alleging negligent design of foundation and site drainage and obtained voluntary dismissal of all claims against client after completion of discovery without any payment to plaintiff.
- Defended architectural firm in suit in state court in Bexar County, Texas brought by owner of expensive custom home alleging numerous design defects caused water intrusion through walls, windows and HVAC ductwork and negotiated favorable settlement after multiple mediations.
- Negotiated favorable settlement on behalf architectural firm which designed extensive renovations and expansion of convention center in San Antonio after claim for professional liability project policy limit was asserted by City of San Antonio alleging design defects and project delays due to inadequate design and contract administration.
- Represented geotechnical engineering firm in arbitration of claim brought by developer of high rise office building alleging extensive property damage, diminution in value of building and loss of rental income resulted from inadequate geotechnical study and drainage recommendations and negotiated favorable settlement before arbitrators rendered award.
- Defended suit in state court in Maverick County, Texas brought by residential subdivision developer against client environmental engineering firm which performed Phase 1 Environmental Site Assessment and failed to discover abandoned municipal landfill. Court entered summary judgment in favor of client.
PRODUCT LIABILITY AND PERSONAL INJURY LITIGATION
- Defended foreign manufacturer in suit in federal court in Corpus Christi, Texas, in which plaintiffs alleged video game console caused house fire which resulted in serious burn injuries to child and negotiated favorable settlement with plaintiffs.
- Represented manufacturer of pesticide in state court in Hidalgo County, Texas, in which plaintiffs alleged in utero exposure caused autism spectrum disorder in children and negotiated favorable settlement.
- Defended trucking company and driver in jury trial of personal injury suit in state court in Bexar County, Texas arising from multiple vehicle accident on interstate highway and obtained defense verdict.
- Defended trucking company and driver in jury trial of personal injury suit in state court in Frio County, Texas arising from collision between tractor trailer and farm tractor and obtained defense verdict.
- Defended trucking company and driver in jury trial of wrongful death suit in state court in Hidalgo County, Texas arising from rollover accident on interstate highway and obtained favorable settlement after several days of trial and before verdict returned.
- Defended trucking company and driver in jury trial of personal injury suit brought by multiple plaintiffs in state court in Webb County, Texas arising from chemical exposure due to cargo contamination and obtained defense verdict.
- Defended oil and gas operator in jury trial of personal injury suit in LaSalle County, Texas brought by oil field worker who injured spine in fall from drilling rig and appealed adverse judgment to Texas Supreme Court which reversed trial court judgment and rendered judgment in favor of client operator. Clayton W. Williams, Jr., Inc. v. Olivo,952 S.W.2d 523 (Tex. 1997).
- Local Attorneys Weigh In On the Hot Topics for 2015, San Antonio Business Journal (January 2015)