Dean A. OlsonDean Olson Clark Hill
Dean A. Olson
Dean A. Olson, a Member in Clark Hill’s Los Angeles office, is a trial attorney and litigation manager for cases involving products, transportation, and employment litigation. He is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) and has an active California trial practice. Since 2000, Dean has typically tried at least one complex jury trial to verdict each year in state and federal court. He serves as regional and state trial counsel for a number of clients, and is designated trial counsel and national trial team member for a number of corporations in the defense of toxic tort claims.
Dean gained his initial trial experience representing law enforcement agencies and officers in state and federal civil rights jury trials. In the late 1980’s he moved into private practice to focus on the areas of product, toxic tort, and premises liability.
Dean has brought to trial numerous complex toxic tort and transportation jury matters throughout California. He is a zealous advocate for his clients, which include brake and insulation manufacturers, premises owners, and trucking and transportation companies, among others. Presently, he manages a large and varied caseload of catastrophic transportation claims. Dean is lead defense counsel for the claims arising from the October 2016 USA Holiday bus accident near Palm Springs, California, which resulted in in 13 deaths and 32 injured individuals.
Using alternative dispute resolution approaches, he has achieved a high success rate in the resolution of many complex cases. Dean has made extensive use of the latest techniques in case evaluation and trial preparation, including jury focus groups and mock juries, to assess the best trial strategy for his clients. He believes that the most effective settlement strategy involves thorough trial preparation. Dean also provides risk management counseling and advice to his clients to help avoid and minimize legal issues.
Dean frequently lectures for organizations including seminars on trial advocacy, fraud litigation and MDL 875 for the American Conference Institute (ACI), National Business Institute and Defense Research Institute (DRI). He recently served as an expert witness testifying in an asbestos insurance coverage matter.
- Presenter, "Current Status of Punitive Damages Given Exposure That Occurred Decades Ago and a Closer Look at Hotbed Jurisdictions," American Conference Institute's 22nd National Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims & Litigation, January 13, 2017
- Presenter, "Lessons Never Learned in Law School: Trial Tips in Employment Cases," LACBA Labor & Employment Law Section 2015 Annual Retreat, April 2015
- Presenter, "Asbestos Claims & Litigation," American Conference Institute 16th National Advanced Forum, January 2014
- Presenter, "Constitutional Laws on Cyberbullying," ABA, December 2013
- Presenter, "Department of Insurance Fair Claims Regulations," Berkshire Hathaway Inc., October 9, 2013
- Presenter, "Constitutional Laws on Cyberbullying," ABA Young Lawyers Division, September 5, 2013
- "Constitutionality of Cyberbullying Laws," Speaker, American Bar Association 2013 Annual Meeting, August 2013
- "Spotlight on Premises Owners, Contractors/Suppliers, and the Continued Expansion of Take Home Exposure Cases," Presenter, American Conference Institute's 14th Annual Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims and Litigation, June 2013
- "The Navy Cases: Bolstering Your Case from Discovery Through Trial," Presenter, American Conference Institute's 13th Annual Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims and Litigation, January 2013
- "Cyberbullying: free speech vs. protecting children," Los Angeles Daily Journal, June 12, 2012
- Editor, Morris Polich & Purdy LLP's Newsletter Employment Law Update, February 2012
- "California Employment Law: Updates & Changes for 2012," Presenter, MPP Seminar, San Diego, February 15, 2012
- "California Employment Law: Updates & Changes for 2012," Presenter, MPP Seminar, San Francisco, February 8, 2012
- "MDL Update and MDL 875 Lessons Learned," Presenter, American Conference Institute's 12th Annual Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims and Litigation, January 2012
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA) - Lecturer
- American Bar Association (ABA) - Lecturer
- National Business Institute (NBI) - Lecturer
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) - Faculty
- American Conference Institute - Lecturer