Cynthia M. Filipovich
Cynthia M. Filipovich, chair of the firm’s Appellate Practice, represents clients in both state and federal courts of appeals nationwide, where she works to secure a trial victory on appeal or turn a trial loss into an appellate win.
Cynthia represents large commercial entities on appeal in complex cases involving international automotive litigation, forklift products liability, asbestos litigation, international products liability, banking and mortgage disputes, and intellectual property matters. Her practice also includes trial litigation, including complex commercial litigation, and products liability disputes.
Cynthia was a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Eric L. Clay of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit prior to entering private practice at Clark Hill. She practiced as a registered pharmacist and was director of pharmacy services at a local hospital for several years prior to entering law school.
Cynthia serves as co-chair of Clark Hill BOLD – Detroit, the firm’s strategy to promote women within the firm, the legal profession, and the business community.
Named among The Best Lawyers in America® for Appellate Practice by Best Lawyers (2024)
Top Lawyer in Appellate Practice, dBusiness magazine
Michigan Super Lawyer, Appellate Practice (2013-2021)
Named a Leading Lawyer in Detroit by Leading Lawyers℠ (2022-2023)
State Bar of Michigan
Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter
State Bar Licenses
Representative Litigation and Appellate Matters:
- Chrysler Group, LLC U.S. District Court E.D. Michigan Representing Chrysler Group in nationwide dealership dispute in the aftermath of bankruptcy
- PNC Bank, N.A. U.S. District Court E.D. Michigan Representing PNC Bank in multi-million contract dispute
- STERIS Corporation U.S. District Court E.D. Michigan Representing STERIS in products liability matter
- Crown Equipment Corporation U.S. District Court E.D. California.; E.D. Michigan; State Circuit Courts Representing Crown Equipment in products liability matters
- DaimlerChrysler Corporation U.S. District Court S.D. New York; E.D. Michigan; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit; U.S. Supreme Court Representing DaimlerChrysler in several different multi-million dollar commercial disputes
- Clear Channel Entertainment, Inc. Michigan State Court Representing Clear Channel in defense of premises liability claims
- Thyssenkrupp Budd Company U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit Representing Thyssenkrupp in defense of appeal
- Basic Coatings, Inc. U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit Representing Basic Coatings in defense and dismissal of appeal
- HealthCall of Detroit, Inc. E.D. Michigan; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit Representing HealthCall on claims involving insurance disputes including an issue of first impression in the 6th Circuit
- Michigan Manufacturers Association U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit Representing MMA as amicus curiae for Whirlpool Corporation
- Police and Fire Retirement System of the City of Detroit, Michigan Court of Appeals Representing PFRS on several matters on appeal as both appellant and appellee
- Barnard Manufacturing Company Michigan Court of Appeals Representing Barnard Manufacturing in defense of appeal
- Janet Hope Keiser Michigan Court of Appeals Representing an individual in reversal of case involving riparian rights