Toni Scott Reed litigates complex business and commercial cases involving insurance coverage, fidelity bond and surety matters, construction disputes, trust and estate claims, contract disputes and business torts, and banking disputes.
Toni also counsels clients on complex insurance claims and coverage assessments. She represents businesses, insurance companies, banks, trust companies, and individual fiduciaries in federal court, state court, and appellate courts. Applying her more than 25 years’ experience, Toni advocates for her clients with focus, drive, and determination. She is a fierce competitor who gets results, whether before litigation ensues or as a part of a complex lawsuit. Her strategic approach is to simplify complex factual and legal issues while listening to her client’s overriding business goals for the particular matter and for the conduct of the business overall. She maintains an equal passion for oral advocacy in court appearances and for strategic legal writing and argument.
AV Pre-eminent Rating – Martindale Hubbell
Named among The Best Lawyers in America® for Commercial Litigation by Best Lawyers (2013-2023)
Named Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters (2004-2005, 2011-2013)
Named Texas Super Lawyers’ Rising Star by Thomson Reuters (2004)
American Bar Association, TIPS, Fidelity & Surety Law Committee (1994 to present), Committee Chair (2017-2018)
American Bar Association, TIPS, Book Publishing Editorial Board (2017 to present)
American Bar Association, TIPS, Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Committee, Vice Chair (2018 to present); Cyber Insurance Book Co-Editor
American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry
Surety Claims Institute Member
Attorneys Serving the Community, Member (1993 to present); Co-Chair (2002-2004), Charity Screening Committee (2005, 2006, 2014)
Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
State Bar of Texas, Construction Law Section
Dallas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
Dallas Bar Association, Construction Law Section, Business Litigation Section, Probate Law Section
Dallas Women Lawyers Association, Member
Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Leadership Class Alumni
Center for American and International Law – Board Member (2017 – present)
Lake Highlands Education Foundation – Board Member (2022 – present)
Highland Park United Methodist Church, Member, Children’s Musical Chair, Confirmation Instructor
Junior Achievement, Instructor (2009-present)
Richardson Independent School District, Advanced Academic Learning Advisory Board (2020 to present)
White Rock Elementary School, PTA Volunteer, Room Representative (2009-2019)
Lake Highlands Junior High, PTA Volunteer (2019 to present); Lake Highlands High School, Wild for Cats (2019 to present)
Dallas Heart Ball, Board of Directors (1998-2002)
Make-A-Wish Foundation, Founding Committee Chair of Wish Night
State Bar Licenses
- Obtained summary judgment, affirmed by Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, on commercial crime policy coverage dispute on social engineering versus computer fraud coverage.
- Obtained dismissal of putative class action lawsuit alleging misappropriation of identity in COLI policy context by 12(b)(6) motion, as well as affirmation of dismissal on appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Obtained summary judgment to foreclose mechanic’s lien and to defeat city’s claim of immunity from suit in construction dispute, as well as affirmation of denial of immunity claim on appeal to the Dallas Court of Appeals.
- Obtained summary judgment on complex insurance coverage dispute, affirmed by Corpus Christi Court of Appeals.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in commercial crime policy dispute involving employee dishonesty claim and policy limit.
- Obtained summary judgment disposition on fidelity bond and crime policy disputes in federal and state court cases.
- Obtained defense verdict after bench trial on breach of contract claims in complex commercial dispute.
- Obtained favorable settlement for manufacturer during jury trial after establishing fraud by contractor on construction project.
- Obtained favorable settlement for fiduciary and reformation of trust following lengthy jury trial.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of fiduciary on complex fiduciary litigation matter.
- Obtained dismissal prior to class certification of nationwide consumer class action against lender alleging violations of RESPA.
- Obtained voluntary withdrawal of class-certification allegations and complete settlement of nationwide class action against mortgage company alleging RESPA violations.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of surety and denial of government entity’s plea to the jurisdiction on waiver of sovereign immunity issues.
- Obtained favorable settlements for both beneficiaries and fiduciaries after significant litigation of complex probate, trust, and fiduciary disputes.
- Negotiated favorable settlements of construction disputes for owners, contractors, and sureties.
- Silent Coverages and Manuscript Changes Offered to Address Coverage Disagreements in the FIB and CCP, ABA Fidelity & Surety Law Committee, Fall Fidelity Conference (2022)
- Depositions of the Insured, Accused Employees, and Third Parties, ABA Fidelity & Surety Law Committee, Mid-Winter Conference (2022)
- Working with Your Insureds, ABA Fidelity & Surety Law Committee, Fall Fidelity Conference (2021)
- Recent Developments in Technology-Based Crimes and Losses, Bond/Commercial Crime Policy Workshop (October 2020)