Toni Scott ReedToni Scott Reed Clark Hill
Toni Scott Reed
Toni Scott Reed litigates complex business and commercial cases involving insurance coverage, fidelity bond and surety matters, construction disputes, trust and estate claims, contract disputes and business torts, and banking disputes.
Toni also counsels clients on complex insurance claims and coverage assessment. She represents businesses, insurance companies, banks, trust companies, and individual fiduciaries in federal court, state court, and appellate courts. Applying her more than twenty-five years’ experience, Toni advocates for her clients with focus, drive, and determination. She is a fierce competitor who gets results, whether before litigation ensues or as a part of a complex lawsuit. Her strategic approach is to simplify complex factual and legal issues, while listening to her client’s overriding business goals for the particular matter and for the conduct of the business overall. She maintains an equal passion for oral advocacy in court appearances and for strategic legal writing and argument.
- Obtained summary judgment, affirmed by Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, on commercial crime policy coverage dispute on social engineering versus computer fraud coverage.
- Obtained dismissal of putative class action lawsuit alleging misappropriation of identity in COLI policy context by 12(b)(6) motion, as well as affirmation of dismissal on appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Obtained summary judgment to foreclose mechanic's lien and to defeat city's claim of immunity from suit in construction dispute, as well as affirmation of denial of immunity claim on appeal to the Dallas Court of Appeals.
- Obtained summary judgment on complex insurance coverage dispute, affirmed by Corpus Christi Court of Appeals.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in commercial crime policy dispute involving employee dishonesty claim and policy limit.
- Obtained summary judgment disposition on fidelity bond and crime policy disputes in federal and state court cases.
- Obtained defense verdict after bench trial on breach of contract claims in complex commercial dispute.
- Obtained favorable settlement for manufacturer during jury trial after establishing fraud by contractor on construction project.
- Obtained favorable settlement for fiduciary and reformation of trust following lengthy jury trial.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of fiduciary on complex fiduciary litigation matter.
- Obtained dismissal prior to class certification of nationwide consumer class action against lender alleging violations of RESPA.
- Obtained voluntary withdrawal of class-certification allegations and complete settlement of nationwide class action against mortgage company alleging RESPA violations.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of surety and denial of government entity's plea to the jurisdiction on waiver of sovereign immunity issues.
- Obtained favorable settlements for both beneficiaries and fiduciaries after significant litigation of complex probate, trust, and fiduciary disputes.
- Negotiated favorable settlements of construction disputes for owners, contractors, and sureties.