Scott A. ShanesScott Shanes Clark Hill
Scott A. Shanes
Scott A. Shanes has over eighteen years of experience representing the interests of business clients in litigation, arbitration, and administrative law matters. Scott represents corporations, partnerships, and individuals in contract disputes, business tort cases, financial and securities actions under the Federal Securities Act and/or the Texas Securities Act (including matters within the ambit of FINRA), and real estate litigation. His experience is multifaceted and ranges from "pre-litigation" representation of clients in an effort to resolve disputes efficiently to "end of the line" representation at the courthouse or before arbitration panels. He has extensive experience in the courtroom and has tried numerous cases to verdict, both in Texas and in other states.
Scott has also handled high profile cases that have received extensive media exposure, both locally and nationally. He is skilled at interfacing with the media in order to communicate effective messages on behalf of clients.
- Successfully negotiated and resolved multiple claims asserted against a Michigan-based manufacturing company sued in Texas for alleged violations of technology transfer agreements and other business contracts.
- Negotiated licensing agreements for medical software developer in a "first-to-market" area of virtual laboratories for medical students.
- Represented an international paper and office products supplier in connection with claims arising from transportation and warehousing contracts.
- Represented independent marketing organization in California-based class action alleging violation of California consumer laws.
- Represented national insurance company in class action litigation arising out of alleged deceptive business practices.
- Prosecuted claims under Federal Securities Act and Texas Securities Act arising from frozen Auction Rate Securities sold by major Wall Street firm.
- Defended multiple Registered Investment Advisors before FINRA arbitration proceedings in connection with investment-based suitability and other claims.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict in a federal court Lanham Act case involving claims of cyberpiracy.
- Successfully defended and prosecuted a counterclaim in real estate litigation pertaining to property surrounding Dallas Cowboys stadium in Arlington, Texas.
- Represented a market-leading surgical corrective vision practice in litigation involving claim of unfair competition.
- Represents national retail chain in regional litigation of commercial litigation claims.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a European real estate investment group in connection with claims asserted by multiple plaintiffs in connection with ground tract leases.
- Represented a local land developer in connection with the negotiation and resolution of various land use and zoning issues.