Scott D. Braun counsels clients on professional and general liability coverage issues and claims focusing on hospitals, nursing homes, miscellaneous errors and omissions, correctional healthcare and workers’ compensation risks.
The scope of his practice ranges from providing advice He advises worldwide insurers and reinsurers with respect to North American exposures at every stage from policy drafting, claims analysis, to coverage analysis and ultimately claims dispute resolution. Scott also shares his knowledge on critical coverage topics as a presenter and contributor to industry organizations and publications.
Scott has been rated as an “AV/Preeminent Attorney” by Martindale-Hubbell. AV, AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished (SM) and Martindale-Hubbell Notable (SM) are Certification Marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Scott was selected to the 2011 Illinois Rising Stars list.
Scott was named to the 2007 edition of “40 Under Forty,” a special section published by Chicago Lawyer and the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin.
Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
Defense Research Institute
State Bar Licenses
- Co-Author, “Stick Them with the Pointy End: Examining the Use of Guilty Pleas in Subsequent Coverage Litigation,” Covered Events, Volume 30, Issue 8, Defense Research Institute (September 23, 2019)
- Co-Presenter, “A Risk Manager, Claims Manager and Lawyer Walk Into a Bar…Views on Claims Trends from Three Different Perspectives,” Florida Society for Healthcare Risk Management and Patient Safety 2015 Annual Meeting (August 2015)
- Co-Presenter, “Current Claim Trends in Medical Malpractice,” Bermuda Society for Healthcare Risk Management, Ltd., the Bermuda Islands (May 1, 2014)
- Author, “Professional Liability Insurance: A Compendium of State Law,” Defense Research Institute, Indiana Chapter (February 2013)
- Presenter, “Professional Liability 101: Insurance Coverage,” Defense Research Institute, Professional Liability Committee (February 2013)
- Co-Author, “Insurers’ Retention of Outside Counsel,” DRI: For the Defense, Defense Research Institute (July 2010)
- Author, “If Columbus Had Not Discovered Hispaniola, Would Lawyers Need to be Concerned with Multiple Professional Liability Policies?” – A Summary of the 7th Circuit’s Opinion in “James River Insurance Company v. Kemper Casualty Insurance Company,” DRI: Riding the E&O Line, Volume 2, Issue 1, Defense Research Institute (March 23, 2010)
- Author, “Excess Insurance and the ‘Selective Tender’ Rule: Illinois Appellate Court Addresses Issues of First Impression in Two Recent Opinions,” The Critical Path, Defense Research Institute, Construction Law Committee (Spring 2007)
- Presenter, “Follow the Fortunes – The Current State of the Law,” G.E. Reinsurance in-house training seminar, Barrington, IL (February 2006)
- Presenter, “Subrogation, Contribution and Reimbursement” and “Coverage Litigation,” Challenges in Illinois Coverage Litigation, NBI seminar, Chicago, IL (December 2004)
- Presenter, “Commercial Speech and Advertising,” American Academy of Implant Prosthodontics Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV (November 2004)
- Co-Author, “Claims Against Construction Participants” and “Delay Claims and Damages,” two chapters in Illinois Construction Law (Aspen 2003)
- Presenter, “Tenders of Defense in Construction Cases: Key Pitfalls to Avoid in Construction Contracts,” Presented to construction industry professionals, Rockford, IL (November 2000)
- Author, “Informed Consent, the Good Samaritan & Malpractice,” chapter in Manual of Emergency Medical Treatment for the Dental Team, William & Williams (1999)