Ryan B. DeLauneRyan DeLaune Clark Hill
Ryan B. DeLaune
Ryan B. DeLaune is a commercial litigator with particular experience in the areas of construction, surety, real estate, insurance coverage, and other complex commercial disputes in state and federal courts. Ryan specializes in representing surety clients in complex construction matters and all aspects of litigation involving surety bond claims, where he regularly assists sureties with developing cost-effective strategies to minimize risk and loss.
Ryan also has significant experience with fiduciary bonds involving probate estates, trusts, and guardianships. He has represented sureties throughout Texas in a variety of probate matters, including defending against surcharge claims in breach of fiduciary duty, malfeasance, and negligence actions.
Ryan is actively involved in the Fidelity and Surety Law Committee (FSLC), Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association. He Co-Chaired the Construction Program for the 2020 FSLC Midwinter Meeting, serves as a Vice-Chair of the Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, Co-Chair of the Diversity and Inclusion Subcommittee, and previously served as co-chair of the Young Professionals Subcommittee.
During law school, Ryan served as an intern to the Honorable Eldon Fallon, United States District Court Judge for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
- Representation of sureties in disputes involving obligations relating to payment, performance, and miscellaneous bonds.
- Representation of sureties in indemnity actions and general collection efforts.
- Representation of national restaurant owner/operator in commercial lease dispute with landlord.
- Represented national insurer in complex multi-party federal and state litigation in Mississippi arising from premium finance fraud perpetrated by insurance agent.
- Representation of sureties in highway and public works construction disputes.
- Representation of post-tensioning company in foundation defect disputes.
- Representation of home owners in residential construction disputes.
- Representation of sureties in probate bond surcharge disputes.
- Representation of sureties in supersedes bond and other miscellaneous bond disputes.
- Program Co-Chair, Vital Signs of a Healthy Contractor, ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice, Mid-Winter Meeting of the Fidelity & Surety Law Committee, New York, NY (January 2020)
- Seas the Day: Protecting Communications with Conslutants, Gulfcoast Fidelity & Surety Institute (June 2018)
- Legal and Ethical Issues Faced by Sureties and Fidelity Insurers, Zurich CE-CLE Presentation (October 2016)
- Surety's Overpayment Defense, Zurich's CE-CLE Extravaganza (October 2013)
- Recent Changes to Laws Affecting the Texas Surety and Construction Industry: Waiver and Release, Retainage, Attorneys' Fees and Indemnification Clauses, Client Presentation (March 2012)
- Seas the Day: Protecting Communications with Consultants, Gulfcoast Fidelity & Surety (June 2018)
- Limitations on Contractor's Right Of Set-Off, American Bar Association's Fidelity and Surety Law Committee Newsletter [subscription required] (Spring 2017)
- Co-author. Protecting Communications with Surety Consultant, 27th Annual Northeast Surety and Fidelity Claims Conference (September 2016)
- Contributor. Fidelity Law Update, Surety & Fidelity Claims Institute Annual Meeting (June 2015)
- Co-author. Protection of the Penal Sum by the Takeover Surety, Gulfcoast Fidelity & Surety Institute (May 2015)
- Co-author. Whose Fault Is It Anyway?: An Overview of Liabilities for Design Defects on Construction Projects, Gulfcoast Fidelity & Surety Institute (May/June 2014)
- Contributor. Takeover in Bond Default Manual, Ch. 5, 363-457 (Mike F. Pipkin et al. eds. 4th ed. 2014)
- Contributor. The Surety's Subrogation Rights Against Third Parties, The Contract Bond Surety's Subrogation Rights, Ch. 16 (George J. Bachrach et al. eds. 2013)
- Contributor. Buried Treasure: An Analysis of the Surety's Potential Claim Against its Principal's Bank for Wrongful Setoff, Gulfcoast Fidelity & Surety Institute (May/June 2012)
- Co-author. First Lien/Second Lien Intercreditor Agreements, 30th Annual Jay L. Westbrook Bankruptcy Conference (November 2011)