Matthew L. Marshall
Matthew L. Marshall litigates product liability cases in the life science industry, in matters involving medical device, pharmaceutical, and dietary supplement claims.
Matt’s medical device clients are diverse and include manufacturers of dozens of different types of Class III, II, and I devices.
Matt represents pharmaceutical manufacturers and distributors in product liability cases, and sponsors and contracts research and manufacturing organizations in clinical trials litigation. He also represents manufacturers, distributors, ingredient suppliers, and contract manufacturers of dietary supplements and other food products. Additionally, he represents testing labs in personal injury litigation.
In the commercial products industry, Matt represents manufacturers of bulk plastics, thermoplastic OTR tires, molds, pre-manufactured barns, toilet valves, appliance hoses, resurfacing coatings, and component parts.
In the consumer products industry, Matt represents manufacturers of utility vehicles, off-road protective gear, tires, exercise equipment, smartphones, tablets and chargers, pet supplies.
Matt has successfully tried to verdict numerous claims involving death or serious injuries including stroke, neurological deficits & paralysis, respiratory failure, SJS, burns, organ damage & failure, amputation, RSD, blindness, and other catastrophic injuries.
Matt has also served as national and regional counsel in several coordinated mass tort litigation and class actions.
State Bar Licenses
- Author, “New FDA Draft Guidance on Medical Product Communications: What You Need to Know,” January 20, 2017
- “FDA Regulations, Medical Causation, and Treating Provider Depositions,” webcast co-presented by DRI’s Drug and Medical Device Committee and Young Lawyers Committee, December 12, 2013
- “Decision Limits Exposure for Medical Device Manufacturers,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, July 9, 2013
- “California Appellate Court Decision Favorable for Medical Device Manufacturers,” Email Alert, July 8, 2013
- “Introducing new rules for depositions, effective Jan. 1,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, December 31, 2012
- “Justices Limit Exposure of Foreign Businesses to US Litigation,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, July 7, 2011
- “Supreme Court Rules that State Failure to Warn Claims Against Generic Drug Manufacturers are Preempted,” June 27, 2011
- “The Nuts and Bolts of Product Liability Litigation,” September 2010
- “Co-Defendants in Drug & Medical Device Litigation – Powerful Allies/Dangerous Enemies,” June 8, 2010
- “We Said That? Navigating the Risks of a Robust Advertising, eMarketing & Promotions Program for Medical Products,” May 2010
- “Best Practices for Managing Deposition Expenses and Achieving Predictable Legal Costs,” December 2009
- “Product Liability and Food Contamination Seminar,” August 2002
- “The Admissibility of Medical Device Reports in Civil Litigation, Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry,” January 2001
- “Common Sense Reform or Legislative Excess?” A Survey of Recent State Tort Reform Legislation, International Legal Strategy, Vol. IX-2, February 15, 2000