Karen M. KettKaren Kett Clark Hill
Karen M. Kett
Karen M. Kett provides short and long-term planning for corporate sponsorship of all types of immigrant and nonimmigrant visas as well as counsels companies on immigration regulatory compliance as a Member of the Clark Hill Immigration Practice Group in the firm’s Detroit office. Her immigration practice includes representation of companies of all sizes including Fortune 100 and 500 companies, computer and business personnel, engineers, business executives and entrepreneurs, and other professionals and their families as they plan for U.S. entry.
Karen earned a B.A. in Political Science - Prelaw from Michigan State University in 1997 participating in an overseas study program in Australia. Karen attended Wayne State University Law School graduating cum laude in 2005. She completed an internship with Judge Gerald E. Rosen at the United States District Court Eastern District of Michigan. She enjoys international travel and resides in Birmingham, Michigan with her husband and charming daughter.
- Represents corporate clients in various industries on all types of nonimmigrant and immigrant visa applications and petitions, providing extensive planning and guidance throughout the immigration process.
- Represents staffing, engineering, and information technology companies in H-1B compliance, responses to Requests for Evidence (RFEs), specialized knowledge, and employer/employee relationship issues.
- Leads targeted corporate compliance audits of I-9 processes and procedures as well as visa-specific retention policies for corporate clients throughout the United States including: pre and post audit compliance training; new or revised policy implementation; and on-going compliance counseling.
- Represents employers in Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Form I-9 audits and investigations from initial inspection through the negotiation of reduced fines.
- Leads the Clark Hill fixed fee Form I-9 internal audit program: http://www.clarkhill.com/contents/form-i-9-compliance-internal-audits
Clark Hill Immigration Practice Awards
- The Clark Hill Immigration Practice Group in the Detroit office is the only law firm rated nationally in 2017 for immigration law in Michigan, by Best Lawyers.
- Corporate LiveWire’s 2016 Legal Award Winner – Clark Hill – Corporate Immigration Law Team of the Year.
- International M&A Awards – Corporate LiveWire – Immigration Law Team of the Year – USA in 2015 and 2016.
- Clark Hill PLC received an Award for Excellence in Immigration Law – Michigan by AI Global Immigration & Logistics 2015.
- Clark Hill PLC was listed as Tier 1 Nationally for Immigration Law in 2015 by U.S. News.
- Clark Hill PLC was listed as US – Regional Immigration Law Firm of the Year in the ACQ Law Awards 2014.
- Clark Hill PLC was listed as US – Immigration Law Firm of the Year in the ACQ Law Awards 2014 and 2015.
- “Staffing Companies and US Immigration: I-9s for Offsite Workers, H-1B Sponsorship, and Other Challenges,” Clark Hill Webinar, November 10, 2015.
- “Are you Ready for an I-9 Audit or ICE Raid?,” Associated General Contractors of Michigan, July 2015.
- “Effects of Immigration on Business,” Michigan Association of CPAs, Management Information & Business Show, Novi, MI, June 24, 2015.
- “Crushing the Hard LCA Problems into a Pretty Volcanic Sand,” AILA Mid-Year Conference, Maui, Hawaii, January, 2015.
- “Hiring: What You Need to Know About Employment Applications, Interviewing & Vetting Candidates and I-9 Compliance,” Clark Hill Webinar, December 2012
- “Are You Ready for an I-9 Audit or an ICE Raid? I-9 Compliance in 2013,” Clark Hill PLC Annual Employment Conference 2013.
- "How to Survive an I-9 Audit/Raid," Clark Hill Annual Employment Conference, May 2012.
- “I-9 and E-Verify Update,” Clark Hill PLC Annual Employment Conference, April 2009 and May 2010.
- Clark Hill won Immigration - Law Firm of the Year – USA by Finance Monthly Law Awards, 2017.
- Clark Hill won Legal Team of the Year - Corporate Immigration for 2017 by Lawyerissue.