Jennifer Drugay Cook
Jennifer Drugay Cook represents clients ranging from private individuals to Fortune 500 companies in immigration proceedings before federal courts, federal agencies, and administrative agency hearings.
Jennifer handles complex employment-based, family-based, and naturalization cases before US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the US Department of State. She helps families to obtain immigration benefits – from permanent residence through citizenship – navigating the complexities involved in consular processing abroad, waivers of unlawful presence and “inadmissibility,” and relief from removal. She guides employers on temporary and permanent employment of professionals in a range of fields from healthcare to international trade. She assists international students who seek to remain in the US once their course of study is complete.
Jennifer advises employers on all aspects of employment eligibility verification (Form I-9) compliance, including internal audits, and responding to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) notices of inspection, proposed fines for non-compliance, and government contract debarment proceedings.
In the event of an unfavorable outcome before an immigration agency, Jennifer prepares appeals to the USCIS Administrative Appeals Office, to the US Department of Justice Board of Immigration Appeals or Office of the Chief Administrative Hearing Officer, and has prepared many actions on immigration matters – on behalf of individuals and employers – in federal courts.
Jennifer is a frequent contributing editor for the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) publications and provides pro bono legal assistance to military personnel and families through the AILA Military Assistance Program (MAP). She also serves as an Alumni Interviewer for Georgetown University’s Alumni Admissions Program as well as a presenter for Georgetown’s Alumni Career Services.
Business Immigration Law Firm of the Year in Washington DC by Corporate INTL Magazine (2018-2021)
Business Immigration Law Firm of the Year in Washington DC by GlobalLawExperts (2018-2020)
2017 Tier 1 Ranking for Immigration Law in Washington DC by US News and World Report
2017 Immigration Law Firm of the Year – USA by Finance Monthly Magazine
2017 Legal Team of the Year – Corporate Immigration by Lawyerissue
American Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association
D.C. Bar Association
Maryland State Bar Association
National Lawyers Guild, National Immigration Project
Social Justice Committee, Holy Trinity Catholic Church, Georgetown
State Bar Licenses
- Editor, “Navigating the Fundamentals of Immigration Law, AILA Annual Conference,” American Immigration Lawyers Association, 2015 through 2022-23 edition
- Contributing Editor, “AILA’s Asylum Primer: A Practical Guide to U.S. Asylum Law and Procedure, Seventh Edition” by Dree Collopy, American Immigration Lawyers Association, 2015
- Co-author (with Thomas K. Ragland), “Litigating Immigration Cases in Federal Court – What Every Lawyer Needs to Know About Immigration Law,” American Bar Association, 2014
- Co-author, “‘Not Unbounded’: The Reach of State Authority Under Section 401 of the Clean Water Act,” ABA Water Resources Committee Newsletter, January 2011
- Author, “Not Your Grandfather’s Energy Source,” Law360, August 20, 2010
- Co-author, “New Endorsement of State Authority Under the Clean Water Act: S.D. Warren v. Maine Board of Environmental Protection,” Western Water Law & Policy Reporter, July 2006
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification & Employer Compliance in an Era of Heightened Worksite Enforcement
- WEBINAR: “Worksite Compliance and Enforcement Update”
- Discussion Leader and Panelist, “Hot Topics in I-9 Compliance and Worksite Enforcement,” The American Immigration Lawyers Association, Washington DC Chapter, November 13, 2019
- Panelist, “Seize the Day! Taking USCIS Denials to Federal Court,” American Immigration Lawyers Association’s Administrative Litigation Task Force CLE Presentation to AILA South Florida Chapter, November 28, 2018
- WEBINAR: Everything You Need to Know About Hiring Foreign Medical Graduates
- Presenter, “Webinar: Compliance Issues in the Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9: Raising Awareness for Employers,” The Knowledge Group, October 27, 2015
- Discussion Leader, “Petitions for Certiorari in the United States Supreme Court,” American Immigration Lawyers Association’s Federal Court Immigration Litigation CLE Practicum and Webcast, March 5–6, 2012
- Panelist, “Thinking Outside the Box to Defend DREAMers,” American Immigration Lawyers Association National Open House, February 17, 2012