Herbert J. GillesHerbert Gilles Clark Hill
Herbert J. Gilles
For nearly 36 years, Herbert J. Gilles has focused his law practice on counseling businesses in the midst of challenging times. He regularly advises on bankruptcy law, creditor's rights, insolvency issues, creditor-oriented business and consumer bankruptcy matters, and commercial business litigation. Herb is also experienced in handling litigation matters, including property and casualty claims, for the trucking and transportation industry.
Herb has substantial experience in the federal courts in Chapter 7, Chapter 11, and Chapter 13 proceedings, has handled a wide variety of commercial collections and creditors rights related matters, and has appeared on a number of matters Pro Hac Vice to prosecute and defend various Chapter 5 avoidance- and dischargeability-related actions in adversary proceeding litigation in venues across the United States.
Herb has actively managed a docket of complex general liability related matters for national clients in multiple jurisdictions and states - in particular, trucking and transportation defense.
Herb advises on a varied group of clients, including:
- publicly-traded Fortune 500 entities
- privately-held companies
- state governmental taxing authorities
- state agencies
- national and state chartered banks
- an international manufacturer and distributor of food service packaging solutions
- a Texas-based NYSE business development company providing customized debt and equity financing solutions
- a noise control, erosion and sediment control and compliance management company
- North American integrated waste services company that provides waste collection disposal, transfer and recycling
- Healthcare revenue cycle management entity
- a leading national provider of residential door and window hardware to fenestration industry
- financial institutions
- casino hotels
- a national hotel chain
- a national payment credit card processing company
- a national online pet products retailer
- a regional drayage company
- a global UK basked provider of high tech services, including installation of telepresence and video conferencing systems, AV design and digital media signage
- an online entity engaged in design, manufacture and distribution of pet supply products, and
- an IT-based solutions and services provider for healthcare.
- Manage a litigation docket and contracts/transactions for a Texas-based national online pet supply retailer.
- Managed a national docket for a Dallas, Texas - based large door and window manufacturer/retailer concerning its property and casualty trucking claims, product liability, warranty and construction defect claims, and commercial collections and bankruptcy matters.
- Managed a national eviction and premises liability docket for a large Irving, Texas-based hotel/motel chain.
- Managed Texas general liability docket for a Gulf Coast based sporting goods retailer.
- Handled creditors rights related litigation and bankruptcy matters for two national casino hotels.
- Managed a national labor and employment docket for a large national credit card processing and clearinghouse company.
- Managed a docket for a regional restaurant chain concerning premises liability, real estate and corporate matters.
- Manage docket for a national waste services company.
BUSINESS REORGANIZATION & BANKRUPTCY
- Settled $700,000 litigation claim for breach of lease for a fraction of claimed amount.
- Successfully obtained outright dismissal for client of clawback suit by liquidating trustee in New York bankruptcy adversary proceeding that involved over 2,000 claimants.
- Successfully handled a number of Chapter 5 voidable transfer actions brought in bankruptcy courts in Texas, including fraudulent transfer and preference litigation, as well as various contested matters in bankruptcy court for companies.
- Managed large collection matters for banks, governmental taxing authorities and private equity firms.
- Represented panel trustees in Chapter 7 proceedings in the Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas, involving small businesses and individuals.
- Defended a large national residential real estate company and its agents/ brokers against various E&O related claims in state courts in Texas.