Haroon represents hospitals, physician groups, and ancillary healthcare service providers with a goal to provide simple, efficient solutions on a wide variety of transactional, regulatory, and complex litigation matters.
Haroon is regularly engaged by healthcare providers seeking legal representation in the following areas: outside general counsel services; licensure and accreditation; professional and management services agreements; physician employment agreements; joint ventures; regulatory matters (relating to Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark, HIPAA, FCA, Medicare, and Medicaid); government investigations; mergers and acquisitions; partnership disputes; revenue cycle management; and revenue recovery through ERISA and state prompt pay laws.
In addition to his representation of healthcare providers, Haroon has extensive experience handling high-stakes, complex commercial litigation matters, business operational issues, and transactions for corporate clients and executives. Businesses and executives, including those in the real estate, oil and gas, and media industries, seek Haroon’s assistance with simplifying and addressing their legal needs.
Dallas Bar Association
American Health Law Association
State Bar Licenses
Healthcare Representative Experience*
- Obtained favorable recovery on more than $275 million worth of wrongfully denied and underpaid claims on behalf of a Texas hospital through ERISA, State Prompt Pay, and Texas Insurance Code litigation.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for a Texas hospital on a $170 million counterclaim against a major insurance company. The hospital’s counterclaim was filed in response to the insurance company’s lawsuit alleging overpayment and seeking recoupment. Insurer settled the counterclaims brought by the hospital and voluntarily dismissed its own original claims with no settlement payment or commitments by the hospital after it was categorically denied summary judgment.
- Represented a Texas hospital in affirmative claims of more than $100 million against a billing company for mismanagement of the hospital’s revenue cycle processes. The billing company settled the hospital’s claims on the eve of trial, after being denied summary judgment.
- Successfully appealed a physician group’s credentials termination by United Healthcare.
- Successfully represented a physician practice in a TMB and NPDB investigation, resulting in no adverse action.
- Obtained a dismissal for a third-party health benefits administrator in an ERISA underpayments lawsuit.
- Represented an imaging company in a HHS-OCR HIPAA breach investigation resulting in no penalties or adverse actions.
- Represented an emergency physician staffing/billing company in a class action lawsuit related to balance billing.
- Represented a physician whistleblower in a federal Qui Tam lawsuit.
- Represented a Texas hospital in more than 50 matters of active litigation worth more than $25 million.
- Represented a Texas hospital in more than 10 matters of active litigation worth more than $3 million.
- Represented a Texas hospital in negligence claims against an emergency physicians’ group.
- Represented a Texas physicians’ group in drafting and reviewing professional services agreements.
- Represented an imaging company in litigation alleging more than $10 million in damages.
- Obtained a reversal and settlement of a HHSC Emergency Suspension Order against a hospital.
- Obtained an Assurance of Voluntary Compliance with the TX Office of the Attorney General for a healthcare business.
- Represented a Durable Medical Equipment start-up in licensing and accreditation.
- Drafted many healthcare commercial contracts including professional services agreements, financing agreements and due diligence, facility sale agreements and due diligence, compliance programs, policies and procedures, credentialing applications, patient intake paperwork, equipment sale and lease agreements, management services agreements, physician syndication / MSO structuring.
- Provided outside general counsel services for hospitals, and physician groups to help manage day-to-day legal needs, and develop innovative models for business development.
- Represented defendants in a 21-personal healthcare indictment alleging a $40 million fraud scheme.
Non-Healthcare Representative Experience*
- Represented a seller in a $50 million real estate sale leaseback agreement.
- Represented a national railroad flagging services company in several commercial litigation matters.
- Represented one of the U.S.’s largest office furniture distributors in a dispute relating to the purchase of a $10 million warehouse facility.
- Represented a media personality in a federal criminal investigation resulting in no charges.
- Obtained a dismissal for a media group and reporter in defense of a $20 million defamation lawsuit.
- Obtained a TRO and Injunction against a multi-billion-dollar lender to stop a commercial foreclosure.
- Represented Seller in $2.1 million Business Equity Purchase Agreement.
- Represented Buyer in a $2 million commercial real estate acquisition.
- Obtained the sole dismissal for a linen and cleaning services business in a multi-defendant suit.
- Represented a Seller in a $2.1 million Real Estate Sale with a 1031 Exchange Buyer.
- Represented a telecommunications product supplier against breach, negligence, and fraud claims.
*This experience was completed prior to joining Clark Hill.
Presentations and Publications
- “Understanding Medicare and Commercial Insurance Denials, Recoupment, and Appeals”, Keynote Speaker, APPNA North Texas Conference 2017
- “Fact or Fiction? The Superiority of DNA “Fingerprinting” over Latent Fingerprinting in Forensic Identifications”, Recipient Paper of Dean’s Certificate of Achievement Award, University of Miami School of Law
- Healthcare Blog Articles:
- “Anti-Kickback Statute and the Investment Interest Safe Harbor”
- “A Providers Guide to Appealing Health Insurance Claims: 8 Helpful Tips to Recover “Lost” Revenue”
- “MACRA: The Future of Medicare”
- “Understanding the Medicare Appeals Process”
- “Confronting Usual Customary and Reasonable Health Insurance Reimbursement Rates”
- “Provider Guide: How to Use the Texas Prompt Payment of Claims Statute and ERISA to Increase Payments”