Edward J. Hood
Edward Hood represents businesses and individuals in construction and commercial cases in courts and arbitrations nationally.
In his construction practice, Ed represents owners, general and sub- contractors, design professionals, and engineers. Ed’s commercial practice includes business counseling and litigation of contracts, governance laws, and related claims. As part of his litigation practice, Ed acts as a mediator and arbitrator in business, construction, and professional liability matters.
Ed also serves as Clark Hill’s General Counsel. In that role, he represents the law firm and its attorneys in outside legal matters and provides advice on professional ethics and risk management issues.
Named among The Best Lawyers in America® for Construction Law (2022-2023) and Litigation-Construction (2021-2023)
AV rated by Martindale Hubbell
Selected to the Michigan Super Lawyers list
American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Construction Forum
State Bar of Michigan, Litigation Section, Business Section
State Bar of Michigan, Professional Ethics Committee, Chairperson
Washtenaw County Bar Association
Construction Financial Management Association
Detroit Area Construction Association
American Bar Foundation, Fellow
American Arbitration Association, National Roster of Construction Arbitrators
Letterwinners M Club, Past President (2007-2008)
Football Alumni of Michigan Inc., General Counsel
State Bar of Arizona
Oakland County Bar Association
State Bar Licenses
- Lead counsel for design professional in defense of various delay and cost overrun claims brought by owner on $48 million mixed use project.
- Lead counsel for mechanical contractor in defense of delay and cost overrun claim by general contractor in connection with construction of industrial gas separation and processing facility.
- Lead counsel for mechanical/general contractor against owner in prosecution of delay claim arising from natural gas distribution facility.
- Lead counsel for public school district in defense of delay and other cost-overrun claims by general contractor.
- Lead counsel for general contractor in defense of delay and disruption claim by site work subcontractor on urban renewal project.
- Lead counsel for public school district in several matters involving construction of football, baseball, and softball fields at various high schools.
- Defense of owner to substantial liquidated damages claim by general contractor arising from substantial residential renovation project.
- Lead counsel for municipality in defense of delay and cost overrun claims by general contractor on water/sewer upgrade project.
- Co-counsel for general contractor in prosecution and defense of delay and cost-overrun claims against multiple subcontractors, arising from construction of superregional, luxury shopping mall.
- Lead counsel for subcontractor in asserting change and cost overrun claim on oil refinery project.
- Co-counsel for project engineer in defense of delay and cost overrun claim by general contractor arising from construction of on-campus power plant for major university.
Commercial and General Litigation
- Lead counsel for receiver in several litigated matters arising from SEC civil enforcement action against a Ponzi-scheme operator, including claims for fraudulent transfer and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Lead counsel for global integrated steel producer in arbitration against supplier of iron ore regarding pricing and environmental issues.
- Lead counsel for automotive OEM in defense of claim by supplier for cost overruns.
- Lead counsel for global integrated steel producer in arbitration against supplier of pulverized coal regarding supply reliability and pricing issues.
- Lead counsel for bankruptcy trustee in adversary proceedings against principal of Tier-1 automotive supplier for various fraudulent transfer and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Lead counsel in several corporate governance, fiduciary duty and shareholder rights actions in Michigan courts.
- Lead and local counsel for international food franchisor in various civil litigation.
- Lead counsel for global integrated steel producer in arbitration against coke supplier regarding product quality issues.
- Lead counsel for manufactured home producer in declaratory judgment action against insurer for environmental liability coverage.
- Lead counsel for global integrated steel producer in class action lawsuits claiming environmental nuisance and related air quality claims.
Professional Liability Matters
- As General Counsel of law firm, advise law firm management and lawyers regarding an array of ethics and risk management issues.
- As General Counsel of law firm, manage defense of various civil and administrative matters.
- Outside lead counsel for various law firms and clients in connection with professional liability claims and ethics issues.