Claire Wells Hanson
Claire Wells Hanson is a complex commercial litigator focusing on contractual disputes, securities fraud, and business torts. As the leader of the firm’s Cannabis Litigation Team, and she stands out among industry practitioners due to her unique background and skill set. Claire spent more than a decade practicing in the most sophisticated legal markets in the country before she started tackling disputes for cannabis clients. Thus, she is well equipped to handle commercial litigation or arbitration for any business or owners, of any contract or claims.
Claire applies her experience and litigation know-how in the cannabis industry, by advising marijuana and hemp companies on dispute avoidance and management, defending them against claims, and vindicating their rights. Both within and without the cannabis industry, Claire has vast experience helping clients navigate disputes in nearly every area of the law, including securities, real estate, intellectual property and licensing, trade secrets, restrictive covenants, product liability, defamation, and Constitutional law.
Claire’s litigation record exemplifies her practical, nimble, and strategic approach to resolving disputes. She has tried cases—and won—in federal and state court. She has argued successfully in the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. She’s won many cases and claims on summary judgment and other dispositive motions, avoiding the stress and expense of trial for her clients. And she has a long history of success with alternative dispute resolution measures, including mediation and arbitration.
National Law Journal Cannabis Trailblazer 2022
Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch, Environmental Law (2022), Commercial Litigation (2021-2022)
State Bar Licenses
- Succeeded in defending vertically integrated marijuana business in ownership and license dispute, including first-chairing the 8 day trial. Our successful defense strategy required showing that the plaintiff’s investment scheme was illegal under the marijuana regulations in place at the time, which required cross-examining two cannabis attorneys.
- Successfully defended state-regulated marijuana business from landlord’s forcible entry and detainer (eviction) action.
- Represented marijuana licensee in license revocation proceedings in Pueblo, Colorado. Succeeded in preventing the license revocation.
- Represented hemp licensee producing hemp derived delta-8 THC in MED investigation.
- Defended against securities fraud claims brought by investors in a CBD hemp venture.
- Represented a large group of investors in a Ponzi scheme. Represented them in various court actions, SEC investigation and Colorado Division of Securities investigation.
- Prosecuted securities fraud and other claims on behalf of investor in a marijuana technology business.
- Assisted cannabis consultant in enforcing his intellectual property rights, both through litigation and protections in consulting agreement.
- Corporate counsel to marijuana dispensary and consumption lounge in West Hollywood, California.
- “Avoiding and Preventing Securities Fraud Claims,” Speaker at the Women in Cannabis Expo, June 2022
- “Securities Fraud in the Cannabis Industry,” Lecturer at University of Denver Sturm College of Law, March 2022
- “Practical Tips for Defending Depositions: Speaking Objections and Preserving Objections for Trial,” PEAK Training, April 2019