Claire Wells Hanson
Claire Wells Hanson leads the firm’s Cannabis Litigation Team. She is a commercial litigator by training, and her practice focuses on disputes within the cannabis industry. Claire has vast experience helping clients navigate commercial disputes in nearly every area of the law, including business and partnership, securities, real estate, intellectual property and licensing, trade secrets and restrictive covenants, product liability, and Constitutional law.
Claire assists clients through the dispute resolution process, whether via letter writing and negotiation, litigation in federal or state court, mediation, arbitration, or administrative or regulatory proceedings. From the beginning of any representation, Claire works with her clients to understand the resolution they are hoping for and develops a strategy tailored to achieve that outcome. This can range from filing suit or asserting counterclaims, to defending lawsuits with the goal of minimizing potential liability and expense. Claire has achieved successful outcomes for her clients at trials, as well as through dispositive motion practice, mediation, and by negotiating favorable settlements. She has tried—and won—cases in federal and state court, and argued successfully in the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch, Environmental Law (2022), Commercial Litigation (2021-2022)
State Bar Licenses
- Represented vertically integrated marijuana business in ownership and license dispute, including first-chairing the 8 day trial.
- Has represented both marijuana and hemp licensees in license revocation hearings and investigations, at state and local levels.
- Represented software developer of State unemployment insurance program in a putative class action based on claims of Constitutional rights violations.
- Represented Fortune 30 Company in purchase agreement dispute over buyback option.
- Represented a large group of investors in a Ponzi scheme. Represented them in various court actions, SEC investigation and Colorado Division of Securities investigation.
- Represented manufacturer in a product liability dispute with an operator alleging lost profits.
- Represented a consulting company in a trade secret, non-solicitation, and defamation dispute.
- Represented real estate developers and investors in disputes over option contracts, lease interpretation, broker commissions, and purchase offers.
- Represented developer and investor in a dispute with a joint venture partner.
- Represented private equity portfolio retail company in a licensing agreement dispute.
- Represented retail merchandiser in an exclusive merchandising contract dispute.
“Practical Tips for Defending Depositions: Speaking Objections and Preserving Objections for Trial,” PEAK Training, April 15, 2019