Andrew P. Carroll
Andrew Carroll is a litigator with a diverse and complementary practice who represents professionals, mortgage lenders and servicers, and construction clients in both civil and disciplinary proceedings.
Andrew assists real estate investors, developers, and general contractors in risk assessment and litigation stemming from the purchase, construction, sale, and leasing of commercial and residential properties.
Andrew also defends lenders, mortgage servicers, and other financial institutions in litigation alleging violations of federal and state consumer finance laws, such as the Federal Debt Collection Practices Act, Truth in Lending Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau investigations and actions. Andrew further advises lenders, servicers, and property owners in title disputes, eminent domain matters, and other litigation involving real property.
Andrew focuses his professional liability practice on representing attorneys and law firms in a variety of civil and disciplinary proceedings, including claims of legal malpractice, abuse of process, breach of fiduciary duty, violations of debt collection laws, wrongful use of civil proceedings, and actions brought by state disciplinary boards. Andrew also represents attorneys in litigation relating to partnership dissolutions, third-party litigation funding, and fee splitting disputes.
Andrew ensures that the approaches he takes not only resolve the matter, but do so in a way that makes sense for their legal practice, which may mean resolving quickly to avoid protracted litigation or fighting until the end, but most of his strategy is a blend of the two based on circumstances in the individual case.
Named among the Ones to Watch – Commercial Litigation by Best Lawyers (2023)
Board Member, Professional Liability Defense Federation
Membership Chair, Defense Research Institute
State Bar Licenses
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of homeowners’ association in declaratory judgment action seeking imposition of maintenance duties relating to underground sewer piping.
- Prevailed on motion to dismiss third party complaint filed by investment fund against outside accounting firm for alleged failure to uncover $25 million Ponzi scheme.
- Successfully argued appeal of a trial court’s ruling dismissing fraud, conspiracy and negligence per se claims against an accounting firm.
- Obtained dismissal of a federal suit against ride-share company alleging violations of consumer protection laws and false advertising.
- Secured trial victory on foreclosure matter in which the defendant was over five years in arrears and challenged the chain of title and compliance with the applicable Pooling and Servicing Agreement.
- Attained dispositive relief on behalf of reverse mortgagee in matter where the borrower asserted origination fraud.
- Succeeded at summary judgment on behalf of mortgagee when inconsistencies in the execution and recording of an assignment of mortgage created allegations of fraud and lack of standing to foreclose.
- Won summary judgment on Dragonetti claim brought against attorneys representing the son of a high profile singer in an underlying estate dispute in the first case interpreting the Pennsylvania Supreme Court’s decision in Raynor v. D’Annunzio.