James M. ChantlandJames Chantland Clark Hill
James M. Chantland
James M. Chantland's practice focuses primarily on professional liability and construction law. He also has considerable experience with employment, business and catastrophic accident litigation.
James has successfully represented a variety of professionals including architects, engineers, attorneys, insurance and real estate brokers and agents, as well as a wide assortment of miscellaneous professionals. He has also effectively counseled and represented numerous employers in claims alleging wrongful termination and harassment and discrimination due to race, sex and age. James's construction and business experience includes representation of real estate owners and developers, contractors, project managers, and various other businesses in litigation involving, construction claims (including damages associated with construction delays, lost profits, and environmental remediation), construction defects, construction site accidents and soil contamination, purchase and sale agreements, commercial leases, commissions, unfair competition, false advertising, and trade secrets. His environmental and personal injury experience includes litigation and successful jury trials of cases involving death, dismemberment, brain damage, and diseases allegedly caused by toxic chemicals, soil contamination, mold, indoor air pollution ("sick building syndrome"), defectively designed and manufactured products, and catastrophic transportation accidents.
James has given lectures and seminars on professional liability, construction and employment law and he actively advises clients in transactional disputes, drafting of contracts, and employment practices in order to avoid litigation and to limit liability and expense in the unfortunate event of a legal dispute. His five years of service as the managing partner of the firm has provided him with a deeper and keener insight and sensitivity about the many challenges and potential pitfalls of operating a business, especially a professional service firm.
- "Risk Management For Architects and Engineers," Ironshore Insurance, Los Angeles, California, January 29, 2015
- "Paving the way for more public-private partnerships," Los Angeles Daily Journal
- "Construction Law," California State University, Dominguez Hills
- "Significant Legal Cases Affecting the Legal Duty of Professionals," XL Insurance Company
- "Keys to Success and Potential Pitfalls of Collecting Fees," California Geotechnical Engineers Association
- "Why Risk It? Don’t Put Your Firm in Jeopardy," Victor O. Schinnerer & Company Inc.
- "Professional Liability," California Polytechnic University at Pomona