Ernesto Alvarez, Jr.
Ernesto Alvarez, Jr. litigates commercial, personal injury defense, and energy law matters, in addition to serving clients worldwide in corporate and employment-based immigration matters.
His litigation practice focuses on advising domestic and international clients in a variety of matters, including contract and business tort disputes, restrictive covenants, and trade secrets, statutory compliance issues, shareholder derivative actions, and personal injury suits. Alongside his commercial litigation experience, Ernesto also counsels individuals and corporations worldwide on a broad array of business immigration matters. Fluent in Spanish, Ernesto focuses on understanding his client’s needs and providing effective results.
Named among Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America® for Commercial Litigation by Best Lawyers (2022-2024)
Named among Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America® for Litigation – Environmental by Best Lawyers (2023-2024)
Articles and Notes Editor, Texas International Law Journal, Vols. 49-50
Plummer Award Recipient, Lamar University
Named among Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters (2022-2023)
Jefferson County Bar Association
Jefferson County Young Lawyers Association
Houston Bar Association, International Law Section
State Bar of Texas, Immigration and Nationality Law Section
Appointed by the Supreme Court of Texas to the Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee – Downtown Houston subcommittee
State Bar Licenses
Litigation and Compliance
- Successfully second-chaired a corporate defendant in a multimillion-dollar personal injury trial resulting in defense verdict for client.
- Defended and obtained federal court summary judgment on behalf of a national retailer in an alleged negligence and premises liability lawsuit.
- Counsel oil and gas companies conducting business in Venezuela regarding the present state of U.S. sanctions to ensure compliance.
- Represented a Hong Kong based company in recouping $1.25MM USD it was owed.
- Argued numerous contested hearings, including discovery motions, Daubert motions, and venue motions.
- Assisted in bringing and pursuing derivative claims against closely-held corporations on behalf of majority shareholders.
- Represents numerous corporate clients AND successfully argue necessary injunctions in the protection and enforcement of their trademarks and confidential and proprietary trade secrets.
- Assisted in successfully securing hundreds of temporary worker visas under the H-2B program for an oil and gas company in need of welders and pipefitters.
- Obtained and renewed an E-2 treaty investor visa for various small to midsize business.
- Appealed various denials of H-2B temporary non-agricultural labor certifications before the Department of Labor’s Board of Alien Labor Certification Appeals (BALCA) resulting in the reversal of the Certifying Officer’s denial, granting of temporary labor certification, and establishment of BALCA precedent.
- Counseled clients in successfully obtaining legal permanent residency through the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program.
- Oversees preparation of various nonimmigrant and immigrant visa petitions and responses to Requests for Evidence presented to USCIS and US consulates worldwide