Elizabeth Burke guides her clients through complex commercial litigation, professional liability cases, financial, investment, and shareholder disputes. With more than 20 years’ experience, her clients’ objectives and best interest is her focus.
Elizabeth advises a variety of clients across a range of sectors to include Irish and multinational companies, SME’s, high net worth individuals, insurance companies, self-insureds, and credit unions. Her experience spans from contractual disputes, financial service disputes, and investment disputes to professional indemnity, product liability claims, and judicial reviews of institutions. She has significant experience in managing large scale document review and discovery exercises in both investigations and litigation.
Elizabeth’s main goals are client care, satisfaction, and prudent case management. Her focus is on risk strategies and procedures advising on her clients’ best options to manage difficult situations, be it strategic positioning in alternative dispute resolution or litigation. Alternative dispute resolution is an integral part of her litigation practice and she engages in all forms of alternative dispute resolution to include mediation expert determinations, adjudications and arbitration on foot of commercial contracts, professional indemnity cases, dissolution of partnerships, landlord and tenant issues, defamation cases, construction contracts and shareholder disputes.
Elizabeth also forms part of the multidisciplinary cross departmental cybersecurity, data protection and privacy team that provides clients with expert responsive advices in assisting clients to mitigate their risk, meet their obligations and prepare their responsiveness to security breaches.
Law Society of Ireland, 2000
State Bar Licenses
- Acted on behalf of Electrolux Ireland in the matter of Electrolux Ireland v G4S Security Systems Ireland Limited in a breach of independent contractual dispute against G4S and secured judgment.
- Represented a large chemist group in successfully defending a series of contentious shareholder dispute issues with 21 litigants in the Chancery High Court.
- Successfully defended an injunctive action against an employee of an aviation leasing company which involved a significant e-discovery/disclosure application.
- Lead representative in a complex derivative action taken by a German film company that involved extensive discovery and various applications to include security for costs, fortified undertakings, reconstitution of proceedings.
- Represented parties on either side of professional negligence actions in the financial, legal, medical, cosmetic and building professions.
- Involved in successful judicial review challenges of findings of the financial services ombudsman in financial/investment mis-selling claims and financial mis-selling claims.
- Negotiated and delivered significant six figure settlement in acting on behalf of numerous credit unions in mis-selling cases against Irish institutions and stock brokers.