Daniel J. ScullyDaniel Scully Clark Hill
Daniel J. Scully
Daniel J. Scully is an accomplished trial lawyer and advocate for his clients. With close to 40 years of experience, he brings unparalleled value to his clients, representing several major manufacturers throughout the state of Michigan and across the United States in the defense of product liability litigation and complex civil litigation.
A partner with Clark Hill PLC since its founding in 1996, Dan has tried cases to verdict in seventeen states and has published opinions in the Sixth, Seventh, Eighth and Ninth Circuits.
Dan’s skill and ability has been recognized and acknowledged by several organizations as evidenced by his election to Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers, an organization comprised of “trial lawyers who have mastered the art of advocacy and whose professional careers have been marked by the highest standards of ethical conduct, professionalism, civility and collegiality.” Dan is a Member of the ACTL Michigan State Committee and currently is the Committee’s Co-Chair.
Dan has also been elected as a Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers and is the current Michigan State Chair for the IATL.
He is a Diplomate, American Board of Trial Advocates (one of two Diplomates in Michigan). Dan is a Past President of the Michigan Chapter of ABOTA, a member of the National Board of Directors (2001 – present), and recipient of The Richard Baxter Trial Lawyer of the Year (2012) and the Scully Outstanding Service Award (established by the ABOTA Michigan Chapter in his and his father’s honor). The Baxter Award is not given annually rather only when the Michigan Executive Committee determines appropriate. Dan was only the seventh recipient in the then twenty four history of the Chapter. He has participated in multiple ABOTA Masters In Trial programs in Michigan and in several other states.
Dan’s talent as a trial lawyer has also resulted in his being requested to teach advocacy on several occasions. He was a member of the faculty at the 2001 International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) Trial Academy(2001). He served as the Assistant Director of the IADC Trial Academy in 2006 and its Director in 2007.
Dan was a member of the faculty of the ABA/TIPS (ABOTA) Trial Academy in 2003 and 2005. He has also lectured extensively at several law schools at the request of their trial advocacy professors. On behalf of the ACTL he was asked to lecture at the University of Michigan Law School on several occasions.
His additional honors include being named in the publication The Best Lawyers in America(2003 to present), Michigan Super Lawyer (2006 to present), Best in the US (2005 to present), American’s Top 100 Lawyers, Crane’s Detroit Business Top Lawyers , Who’s Who Legal (Product Liability Defense) and is “AV Preeminent” rated (the highest rating available) in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Firm directory.
Licensed to practice in California, Michigan, New York and Illinois, he also is admitted in several Federal districts and Courts of Appeal. Among other organizations, Daniel is a member of the International Association of Defense Counsel; the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, Society of Automotive Engineers and was elected to membership in the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (1987 to present).
Dan is a native Southern Californian. He hold undergraduate degrees from California State University at Long Beach and San Diego. During his undergraduate career, he competed in intercollegiate football, wrestling and judo.
- The Best Lawyers in America (2019 Edition) for Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants; Product Liability Litigation-Defendants
- The Richard Baxter Trial Lawyer of the Year (2012), ABOTA Michigan Chapter
- The Scully Outstanding Service Award (2017), ABOTA Michigan Chapter
- American Board of Trial Advocates Diplomate; Michigan Chapter Past-President; National Board of Directors, 2001 to Present
- Foundation of the American Board of Trial Advocates, Life Fellow
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow and Co-Chair, Michigan State Committee
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow and State Chairman
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- IADC Trial Academy, Faculty 2001, Director Elect 2006, Director 2007
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC)
- The Best Lawyers in America “The Best of the U.S.”
- Michigan Super Lawyers
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (AAAM)
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Defense Research Institute
- Michigan Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Detroit Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- United States District Courts: California: Northern; Central; Southern Illinois: Northern (Trial Bar); Central. Michigan: Eastern, Western. New York: Southern. Indiana: Northern, Southern. Iowa: Northern. Kansas, Massachusetts, Minnesota