Skip to content

Throughout their careers, Clark Hill attorneys have assisted clients with licenses and permits for the siting of real estate developments, commercial buildings, industrial facilities, and manufacturing plants, as well as energy projects such as renewables, oil & gas facilities and pipelines, fossil fuel power plants, nuclear power and waste facilities, and hydropower plants.

Recent work includes securing nuclear power plant and waste facility license transfers from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC); obtaining hydropower license renewals or transfers, with negotiation of environmental and natural resources license conditions; obtaining favorable section 404 jurisdictional determinations from the Army Corps of Engineers (Corps); acquiring Clean Water Act National Pollutant Discharge Elimination Systems (NPDES) permit approvals from state and federal environmental agencies; securing water quality certifications from state agencies; seeking Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) permits determinations from state and federal environmental agencies for hazardous or solid waste facilities; gaining approval for offshore alternative energy activities from the Mineral Management Services, the Corps, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and state agencies; obtaining federal and state approvals for mine reclamation activities using recycled materials; and assisting clients in obtaining federal and state Clean Air Act operating and construction permits.

We have a deep bench of former government regulators and private sector attorneys with the sophistication and background to effectively represent clients in negotiations with the broad range of federal and state regulatory agencies that control environmental permitting, natural resource exploration and management, and energy sector licensing. The EENR team has background in permitting, licensing, and approvals under the numerous inter-related federal regulatory frameworks including, but not limited to, the following:

  • CWA NPDES and wetlands permits
  • CAA permits
  • Resource Conservation and Recovery Act permits for solid and hazardous waste activities
  • Atomic Energy Act and Nuclear Waste Policy Act licenses
  • Federal Energy Regulatory Commission licenses for energy facilities
  • Endangered Species Act clearances
  • Federal Toxic Substances and Pesticide registrations and approvals
  • Coastal Zone Management Plan approvals
  • Homeland Security approvals for facilities under laws such as the Maritime Transportation Security Act and the Bioterrorism Act

We have represented individuals, private and public corporations, nonprofit organizations, trade associations, utilities, developers, counties and municipalities, redevelopment authorities, automotive suppliers, manufacturers, and telecommunication providers in obtaining the necessary licenses and approvals.