Thomas W. Chaffee
Thomas Chaffee advises clients in homeowners associations and tenancy in common disputes and construction matters.
As general counsel for many HOAs, he assists common interest developments in assessment collections matters. Tom brings real work exposure to his HOA practice having served as the president of his 299-unit condominium complex.
In addition, Tom has extensive experience in construction law representing HOAs, developers, general contractors, and design professionals throughout his career. He continues to litigate construction matters on behalf of owners as well as assisting owners and contractors with the negotiation of construction agreements. Tom counsels real estate professionals regarding actions before the Bureau of Real Estate and represents buyers and sellers in non-disclosure matters. He is a frequent speaker and presenter on HOA and TIC matters.
Executive Committee, Real Property Section, San Francisco Bar Association (2018)
Real Property Law Section of the State Bar of California
Litigation Section of the State Bar of California
Member and Presenter, Bay Area Legal Experts
Executive Counsel of Homeowners (member of Legal Resource and Accountants Panels)
San Francisco Bar Association
State Bar Licenses
- Moderator, “Short Term Rentals in San Francisco,” Real Property Section of the Bar Association of San Francisco, May 2018
- Lecturer, “Advising Tenancies in Common (TICS) and Co-Ownership Agreements,” Real Property Section of the Bar Association of San Francisco, April 2017
- Presenter, “Recent Legal Developments Affecting Real Estate Professionals,” Contra Costa Real Estate in Motion, September 2016
- Lecturer, Real Property Law Section of the Bar Association of San Francisco, “Advising Small HOAs and TICs,” April 2016
- Presenter, “Risk Management for Brokers and Sellers: The Material Facts You Might Not Think to Disclose,” Contra Costa Real Estate in Motion, March 2016
- Presenter, “HOA Law and Litigation,” University of San Francisco School of Law, February 2016, February 2017
- Co-Author, “Wong v. Stoler: Trial Court Abused its Discretion by Refusing to Effectuate Rescission of a Real Estate Purchase Contract,” The State Bar of California’s Real Property Law Section E-Bulletin, September 2, 2015
- Presenter, “San Francisco Residential Real Estate: What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You,” Bay Area Legal Experts, March 2015